PDA

View Full Version : Innovative--cough, wheeze--housing showcase

david shapiro
06-08-2023, 05:46 AM
Code Red air quality for metro DC today, Code Red or Orange tomorrow and perhaps longer;

DOE sent out a notice this morning trumpeting:

https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/fancy_images/USEERE/2023/06/7739643/4789960/innovative-housing-header-5_crop.jpg

Beginning tomorrow, Thursday, June 8, 2023, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxM DIsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsInVybCI6Imh0dHBzOi8vd3d 3Lmh1ZC5nb3YvIiwiYnVsbGV0aW5faWQiOiIyMDIzMDYwNy43N zkwMjgzMSJ9.Qh9ZXmg8Ay0-JiptvLEGawiK2DT7id7zu27zvviPlEA/s/1005398628/br/204430364675-l) (HUD) will host a one-day conference and three-day special event on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. called the Innovative Housing Showcase (https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxM DMsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsInVybCI6Imh0dHBzOi8vd3d 3Lmh1ZC5nb3YvSW5ub3ZhdGl2ZV9Ib3VzaW5nIiwiYnVsbGV0a W5faWQiOiIyMDIzMDYwNy43NzkwMjgzMSJ9.YywzctRUADmbHA EotqdZY8EMbzANs-oVD4saF3vnNsU/s/1005398628/br/204430364675-l) ? and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) will be there!

Gunnar Alquist
06-08-2023, 08:18 AM
Wimp.
Wear a mask. ;)

My daughter lived in Beijing for a year. She said there were many days, particularly during the winter where the AQI was 700+ where she could not see the building next door.

My compliments though. It seems as though the East Coast currently has the worst air quality in the world right now.

So what do you think is going on? Are the government departments not speaking to each other? Seems like that would be a good day to not go out. Were you planning on attending?

david shapiro
06-08-2023, 09:44 AM
Wimp.
Wear a mask. ;)

My daughter lived in Beijing for a year. She said there were many days, particularly during the winter where the AQI was 700+ where she could not see the building next door.

Brrr

So what do you think is going on? Are the government departments not speaking to each other? Seems like that would be a good day to not go out. Were you planning on attending?

I think that, make this I hope that, the DOE PIO tried to return my call when or after I unplugged the phone in my office when it rang during an online UL task force meeting this morning. But i told him I had that meeting from 9-11. So maybe he's just too bloody busy today scrambling to figure what to do about the three days of open-to-the-public.

I hope they've revised their plans, but as yet I haven't gotten any notices to that effect.

Despite not having received the event notice till this morning, I still might have gone. However, with Code Purple locally, I ain't leaving the house except to drive to the air-conditioned grocer and gym--wearing a fresh N95 between buildings.

If I had inspections scheduled, they'd be canceled. I hope you are able to do the same. I pity the letter-carriers, and I can't conceive what it's like to live in the are of the fires, or to be one of those fighting to contain them.

Jerry Peck
06-08-2023, 10:40 AM
I doubt they scheduled the event after the Canadian wild fires were already going.

But what better timing to discuss housing than when there is a roaring fire in the fireplace ... er ... forest.

Topic #1

Fire resistant housing.

david shapiro
06-08-2023, 11:08 AM
I like, Jerry, I like, in a perverse sort of way.

I just tried calling: operator knew nothing, Public Affairs didn't pick up. I may call the DC health dept to ask, just out of perverseness.