PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Electrician.

Zibby Swieca
01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
This is in-sight shut off switch for A/C. I need description of the problems.
Thanks.

Scott Patterson
01-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks.

Are you saying that this is "in sight" or "inside" of the A/C disconnect?

Did it have a dead front cover on it?

Where does the exposed NM line on the left side go? It looks like it is connected to the terminals on the bottom, if so this is wrong.

Zibby Swieca
01-30-2008, 08:40 AM
It did not have dead front cover on it and it is in-sight switch behind condenser.

Rick Hurst
01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Zibby,

Make it simple if you need.

Electrical repairs are needed to the disconnect switch box to the condensing unit. Contact a Licensed Electrician for repairs.

As a inspector, don't feel you have to explain every detail as what is wrong. You recognize it needs repair and call it out as so.

JMHO

Rick

Billy Stephens
01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks.

Also low voltage wires are not allowed inside the box.

Zibby Swieca
01-30-2008, 08:48 AM
This is excellent suggestion.
Thank you

Scott Patterson
01-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Do as Rick said. I'm going to say that the "Old" disconnect has several problems that I can see from the photo. Just missing the dead front cover is enough to call it out, then add on the unprotected NM cable, the double taps and the low voltage control lines for the thermostat.

Jerry Peck
01-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Just to name a few thing I see in there:
- As stated by others - no dead front cover.
- What does that safety switch operate? Has the switching guts been removed?
- The neutral on the 240 volt circuit is connected to ground.
- The ground terminal is most likely only rated for one conductor and has at least 3 conductors in it (3 are visible).
- As stated by others - no low voltage is allowed in there with the power circuit conductors.
- There is a good potential for the bare ground to come in contact with a hot terminal.

Rollie Meyers
02-19-2008, 11:35 PM
That switch used to have a insulating (cardboard) cover in it, the retaining screw is still there, (it's a ITE disco) ,another thing is the switch is a 1Ø 2 W , no provision for a neutral, & if A/C data plate states "maximum fuse or HACR circuit breaker size __" a non fusible disco may not be used.

BTW, other then the insulating cover, the switch is complete.

Jerry Peck
02-20-2008, 06:25 AM
if A/C data plate states "maximum fuse or HACR circuit breaker size __" a non fusible disco may not be used.

Rollie,

With a non-fused disconnect at the a/c condenser unit, there would be a fused disconnect at the supply to those circuit conductor, which most likely originate at a panel and are protected by the breaker (or fuse) at that panel. The conductors are *required* to be protected on their supply end.

Once protected, the name plate on the a/c disconnect does not require an additional overcurrent device (breaker or fuse) - unless the first overcurrent device is too large, in which case a lower rated overcurrent device could be installed in place of the first overcurrent device, or, a lower rated overcurrent device could be added at any convenient point (which is most typically at the required disconnect for the unit).

Now, to take this a little further, if the name plate states "Max Fuse Size" ... a "fuse" must be used for overcurrent protection, not a breaker.

Most modern units will state "Max Fuse or HACR Breaker Size", meaning that either may be used.

The maximum nameplate rating has nothing to do with using a fused or non-fused disconnect.

Michael Thomas
03-01-2008, 11:06 AM
"Flip this house"?.

One of many details at a flip, what's your vote: report it, or just shake your head and keep moving?

Billy Stephens
03-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Michael,

You might want to start An Apparent Amateur Installation Section. :D

Along with .

Michael Thomas
03-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Michael,

You might want to start An Apparent Amateur Installation Section.

Are that many bytes available on the Internet?

Billy Stephens
03-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Are that many bytes available on the Internet?

I feel your pain. :)

Had a Bank Repo I had to burn a CD just for the picture section of the Report.

Michael Thomas
03-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Easy for a flipper to fix, at least.

Tim Moreira
03-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Do you know your tree is sideways? :confused: