James Schaefer
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I am looking for a place to buy another moisture detection stick. It is not a meter, it is a PVC stick with two prongs at the end. Beeps loudly when contacts moisture. I use it regularly to detect if ceiling stains are currectly leaking, before climbing up with a meter to detect the amount of moisture. I understand they are sold in the pet indistry as well as urine detectors for carpet.

All of my searches on Google have returned NO RESULTS. Doe sanybody out there know where I can get a new one of these.


James Schaefer

Mike Schulz
04-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Never heard of one. If you find one please post it. Would like to check it out.

Jim Luttrall
04-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Check the Professional Equipment catalog or web site Gas detectors | Thermal Imaging Cameras (http://www.professionalequipment.com)
I think I saw something like that in their paper cataloge before.

Dom D'Agostino
04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Hydro Pro makes one, look here:

Hydro Pro II Moisture Sensor (http://www.jon-doninc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12714)

(half the price that Professional Equipment charges)

Richard Rushing
04-21-2007, 11:48 PM
HELL, I just whoop out my moisture stick and see what's next. If I get lucky and find something damp to stick it up aginast or into, well... that all the better.;)


Tim Moreira
04-21-2007, 11:58 PM

Beware of mold sticking to your stick ;)

Michael Thomas
04-22-2007, 07:18 AM
I recently had to return my Surveymaster for repair, and while talking with the tech I asked if there was a remote pin sensor available with a longer cord. He said not, but that I could just make up a extension cable of whatever length I needed, and them compare the results obtained with the factory and home-brew cable to calibrate results from the latter. I can think of a lot of various kinds of "sensors" based on this technique - if you need to confirm a reading you could them use the meter directly.

Scott Patterson
04-22-2007, 07:53 AM
My SM came with a probe that has about a 3' cable on the end of it. Of course my SM is several years old.

Jerry Peck
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I have a Delmhorst with a 12 foot cable and pin set I mounted on a telescoping painters pole so I could reach 12 feet. Available from the factory (excepting the telescoping pole).

Jon Randolph
05-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Here is a good trick for you to try. Take your laser thermometer (you do have one don't you) and shoot a spot a foot or two away fro the suspect spot then shoot the suspect spot. If it is damp there will be a difference in tepmerature. Usually cooler by a few degrees, but a hot water leak will be warmer. Bottom line is that there is a temp difference. This will not be as good as a moisture meter, but it gets you in the ballpark. For a moisture meter, I would recommend one that is non-invassive and can detect moisture behind items like tile, drywall, etc.

What you are describing can be accomplished with a flash light bulb (or LED), a couple of wires and a battery. While that will work with moist areas because water conducts electricity and completes the circuit, it will not appear as professional as using a moisture detector (or the laser therm.)

Jerry Peck
05-09-2007, 09:09 PM

I would not trust that.

There are many things which could affect those readings:
- studs
- furring strips
- insulation touching the wall
- insulation not touching the wall
- air leakage into the wall
- drywall nail or screw
- and the list could go on and on