PDA

View Full Version : non-tempered glass

wes owens
04-16-2007, 09:44 PM
I think I'm correct about this but I wanted to double check before putting it in my report.

The window is not tempered glass and as you can see, the door is less than 2ft. away.
Now, my questions are, even though the door can't quite reach the glass because of the brick, the window should still be tempered, correct?

Or does that apply only to situations where the door can actually come in contact with the window?

Tim Moreira
04-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Wes,

In my opinion, I think that you need safety glass in the door but not the adjacent window.

This is from the 03 IRC:

For the door:

[b] R308.4 Hazardous locations.
The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of glazing:
1. Glazing in swinging doors except jalousies.

For the adjacent window:

6. Glazing, in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a 24-inch (610 mm) arc of the door in a closed position and whose bottom edge is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the floor or walking surface.

Exception: The following products, materials and uses are exempt from the above hazardous locations:
3. Glazing in Section R308.4, Item 6, when there is an intervening wall or other permanent barrier between the door and the glazing.

BARRY ADAIR
04-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Try this

Jerry Peck
04-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Tim is close (but no seegar). :)

From the IRC.
- R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of glazing:
- - 6. Glazing, in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a 24-inch (610 mm) arc of the door in a closed position and whose bottom edge is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the floor or walking surface. (Jerry's note: This *includes* that window.)
- - Exception: The following products, materials and uses are exempt from the above hazardous locations: (Jerry's note: These Exceptions remove (except out) the following items from the above list, and there are exceptions to 6.)
- - - 2. Decorative glass in Items 1, 6 or 7. (Jerry's note: This exception does not apply.)

- - - 3. Glazing in Section R308.4, Item 6, when there is an intervening wall or other permanent barrier between the door and the glazing. (Jerry's note: This exception does not apply as there is no intervening wall or other permanent barrier.)
- - - 4. Glazing in Section R308.4, Item 6, in walls perpendicular to the plane of the door in a closed position, other than the wall toward which the door swings when opened, or where access through the door is to a closet or storage area 3 feet (914 mm) or less in depth. Glazing in these applications shall comply with Section R308.4, Item 7. (Jerry's note: This exception does not apply as the exception itself excepts out from the exception "other than a wall toward which the door swings when opened, i.e., the wall where that window is. If not excepted out, then it remains in, meaning that that window *requires* safety glass as it is considered a hazardous location.)

Clear as mud? :cool:

Rick Hurst
04-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Wes,

I always explain it to my client as such. When the door is opened and if a person was standing behind that door could accidentally be struck by the door and fall backwards into a window, by all means that window should be safety glass.

You put codes out if front of some people and it looks like Latin to them.

Simple logic sometimes works best.

Rick

Tim Moreira
04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Kinda reads like Latin to me:)

Not exacty sure on the code.

I read it as the door needs to be safety glassed, but the wall window doesn't.

Correct???:confused:

If not, please explane in English. I only read foul :D

Jerry Peck
04-17-2007, 09:58 PM
I will try it again.

From the IRC.
- R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of glazing:

- - 6. Glazing, in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a 24-inch (610 mm) arc of the door in a closed position and whose bottom edge is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the floor or walking surface.
(Jerry's note: This *includes* that window.)

- - Exception: The following products, materials and uses are exempt from the above hazardous locations:
(Jerry's note: These Exceptions remove (except out) the following items from the above list, and there are exceptions to 6.)

- - - 2. Decorative glass in Items 1, 6 or 7.
(Jerry's note: This exception does not apply.)

- - - 3. Glazing in Section R308.4, Item 6, when there is an intervening wall or other permanent barrier between the door and the glazing.
(Jerry's note: This exception does not apply as there is no intervening wall or other permanent barrier.)

- - - 4. Glazing in Section R308.4, Item 6, in walls perpendicular to the plane of the door in a closed position, other than the wall toward which the door swings when opened, or where access through the door is to a closet or storage area 3 feet (914 mm) or less in depth. Glazing in these applications shall comply with Section R308.4, Item 7.
(Jerry's note: This exception does not apply as the exception itself excepts out from the exception "other than a wall toward which the door swings when opened, i.e., the wall where that window is. If not excepted out, then it remains in, meaning that that window *requires* safety glass as it is considered a hazardous location.)

All I did was separate it so you could read it better.

Did that help?

Think of the exception to the exception this way: It's a double negative.

Like saying: "I ain't got none", which means that you have some.

If you except it out of the exception, it means you are leaving in the requirement.

Gunnar Alquist
04-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Tim,

Typically, windows within 24" of a door are required to be safety glass. A few years ago, this was modified from 12" (at least in the old UBC).

That falls under Jerry's --6

wes owens
04-18-2007, 03:50 AM
Thanks guys.

Tim Moreira
04-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Thank you Jerry/Gunnar,

The two areas that I was misreading was the 24" part here:

where the nearest vertical edge is within a 24-inch (610 mm) arc of the door in a closed position

For some reason I was thinking that applied to the latch side of the door not the hinged side.

Second one:

when there is an intervening wall or other permanent barrier between the door and the glazing.

I guess when I saw the brick under the window sticking out like that I was thinking that that was the permanent barrier between the door and the glazing.

Thank you both for the clarification.

Richard Rushing
04-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I will try it again.

From the IRC.

- - 6. Glazing, in an individual fixed or operable panel adjacent to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a 24-inch (610 mm) arc of the door in a closed position and whose bottom edge is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) above the floor or walking surface.
(Jerry's note: This *includes* that window.)

- - Exception: The following products, materials and uses are exempt from the above hazardous locations:
(Jerry's note: These Exceptions remove (except out) the following items from the above list, and there are exceptions to 6.)

- - - 2. Decorative glass in Items 1, 6 or 7.
(Jerry's note: This exception does not apply.)

- - - 3. Glazing in Section R308.4, Item 6, when there is an intervening wall or other permanent barrier between the door and the glazing.
(Jerry's note: This exception does not apply as there is no intervening wall or other permanent barrier.)

- - - 4. Glazing in Section R308.4, Item 6, in walls perpendicular to the plane of the door in a closed position, other than the wall toward which the door swings when opened, or where access through the door is to a closet or storage area 3 feet (914 mm) or less in depth. Glazing in these applications shall comply with Section R308.4, Item 7.
(Jerry's note: This exception does not apply as the exception itself excepts out from the exception "other than a wall toward which the door swings when opened, i.e., the wall where that window is. If not excepted out, then it remains in, meaning that that window *requires* safety glass as it is considered a hazardous location.)

All I did was separate it so you could read it better.

Did that help?

Think of the exception to the exception this way: It's a double negative.

Like saying: "I ain't got none", which means that you have some.

If you except it out of the exception, it means you are leaving in the requirement.

Illustration--