PDA

View Full Version : OSB pannels with holes

Michel Thibault
02-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi every one,

Have you ever seen holes in the OSB pannels for the outside walls? What is the purpose? I got pictures for those who want to see it

Dennis R
02-02-2008, 11:12 AM
The photos can be viewed here

Inspect Guy
02-02-2008, 11:36 AM
It almost looks like they used the sheathing as foundation wall forms. I have seen where a owner-builder use the foundation wall forms for flooring after they took it off the walls.

Jim Zborowski
02-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I have seen them on pre-fab walls. They're used as " hook holes " to lift the sections. Other than that, no other purpose I can see.

Matt Fellman
02-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Looks about like a 12 gauge..... rough part of town?

Jerry Peck
02-02-2008, 01:42 PM
So they can inject foam insulation into the stud cavities after the drywall is installed?

Jerry McCarthy
02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Naw.... they're venting the stud bays! :D

Michel Thibault
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys!

I received an answer from the CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing, looks like the purpose for drilling holes in the pannels it's for ventilating between studs.

Jerry Peck
02-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I received an answer from the CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing, looks like the purpose for drilling holes in the pannels it's for ventilating between studs.

Michael,

:confused:

Me no comprehend, kemosabe.

You have stud spaces, later filled with insulation, which are then ventilated?

How, kemosabe?

Michel Thibault
02-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Michael,

:confused:

Me no comprehend, kemosabe.

You have stud spaces, later filled with insulation, which are then ventilated?

How, kemosabe?
During the winter, a minimum of relative humidity could pass through out the insulation (for any reasons:bad installation etc.) than..view the OSB pannel don't let go the moisture...the moisture has no way out and could damage the wood frame. By the way...that question was asked to engineer, architect and believe it or not...I received 10 different opinion ..the most one is for ventilating?

They are use mostly on the WestCoast (Vancouver, British Columbia)