PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Jim McClendon
02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
It is attached to the cold water supply and appears to drop into the ac condensation drain line.

Michael Thomas
02-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Only thing I can think of an attempt at a way to flush out the condensate line.

Looks to me like its going to be

"An attic water-garden with decorative waterfall..."

if that value is fully opened when the supply is pressurized.

Scott Patterson
02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
It could also be called a cross contamination potability. :D

Billy Stephens
02-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Do The Mice have an Ice Maker Hooked Up? :)

Jim McClendon
02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
My favorite is the mice icemaker supply line.

Richard Moore
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
As I couldn't figure out how the smaller take-off was controlled, I did a little googling looking for a similar valve. I think (fairly sure) what you have there is actually a pressure relief valve...

See Watts: BRV | Specialty Ball Valves | Water Safety & Flow Control (http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull_tree.asp?catId=64&parCat=206&pid=564&ref=2)

Series BRV Combination Ball Valve and Relief Valves are used in commercial and residential applications on water heater installations. It consists of a bronze body construction with a full port (reduced port with PEX connection), nickel-plated brass ball, blowout-proof brass stem, PTFE seats, stem packing, and stem thrust bearing, Viton relief ball, stainless steel relief spring, brass adapter, and steel handle (the relief valve outlet includes a drain tube connection with PEX or compression fitting models). Series BRV has a low profile design and can be installed in any position. It is for applications that require a means to shut off the water supply to the water heater and for providing protection from excess water pressure caused by thermal expansion. Pressure Rated: 400psi. Relief Valve Pressure Settings: 75, 80, 100 or 125psi (5.2, 5.5, 6.9 or 8.6 bar).

My understanding is that these are sometimes used in combination with a temperature only gas shut-off valve at the water heater when the plumbing for a normal T&P valve is not practical. (see Watts: 210-5 | Automatic Gas Shutoff Valve | Water Safety & Flow Control (http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull_tree.asp?catId=64&parCat=290&pid=3435&ref=2) )

I've never actually seen that set-up, and why you would have one in this application is a mystery, but I'm also sure that it shouldn't be connected to the AC condensate piping. An over-pressure discharge would also try to feed back to the AC and probably flood the attic. Frankly, the WH plumbing in the photo looks FUBAR and it's time for a plumber.

Rick Hurst
02-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Michael has probably the right idea. They hooked up the line to be able to flush out the primary condensate drain line periodically instead of having to pay out the 175. to the HVAC man to do so.

Then again it could be to an ice-maker.

Looks like they need some insulation on those water lines being in the attic space.

rick

Richard Moore
02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Michael has probably the right idea. They hooked up the line to be able to flush out the primary condensate drain line periodically instead of having to pay out the 175. to the HVAC man to do so.

Rick, did you see my post above? With all due respect, the green handle is the shut-off for the main feed to the water heater. There is no shut-off handle for the smaller tee so how would that work for flushing?

I'm 99.999% certain this is a Watts combo shut-off & pressure relief valve.

Michael Thomas
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I think Richard Nailed it.

Rick Hurst
02-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Richard,

I had not read down that far when I posted, but now you have shed new light. :D

I believe you are correctamundo.

rick

Jerry Peck
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Richard got the valve right, but ...

Michael and Scott have the results right. :D

Jim McClendon
02-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks to all.

Rick Seifert
02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Looks like a stop/waste valve to me. When the valve is in the off position the internal orifice is opened to allow the pressure to bleed off

Tom Rees
02-08-2008, 05:37 PM
In my area code requires an expansion tank in a closed system with water pressure over 80 psi. This looks like a Thermal Expansion Ball Valve which serves the same purpose as an expansion tank. Not real common and more expensive than expansion tank.

Matthew Skowron
02-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve)

all you never wanted to know about valves and more

Matthew Skowron
02-15-2008, 07:24 AM
FOUND IT!!!!

Watts Combination Ball Valve and Relief Valve, Series BRVT 3/4" Threaded Ends (0531212) - PlumberSurplus.com (http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Watts-Combination-Ball-Valve-and-Relief-Valve-Series-BRVT-3-4-Threaded-Ends-(0531212)/12822/Cat/218?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=googlebase&CAWELAID=146576068)

Jerry Peck
02-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Matthew,

;)

This is from Richard's post on 2/5 above:

I did a little googling looking for a similar valve. I think (fairly sure) what you have there is actually a pressure relief valve...

See Watts: BRV | Specialty Ball Valves | Water Safety & Flow Control (http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull_tree.asp?catId=64&parCat=206&pid=564&ref=2)

Your link shows the same valve. :cool: