PDA

View Full Version : The Leaning-ist chimney I've ever seen

Matt Fellman
02-05-2008, 05:10 PM
1908 farm house. This thing was straight above the roof (re-built I imagine) but had a lean that made you really do a double take. I've seen some with a slight slope before but this was just crazy. I like the 'fix' that someone tried. I couldn't get back far enough to get a great picture but I think you'll get the idea.

Jerry Peck
02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
My guess is that brace was installed by the brick mason to give him something to lay up his bricks against, I doubt it was ever intended to remain as a 'permanent brace'.

That chimney was probably straight above the roof because that was where the mason wanted the chimney to go through the roof, so he laid up the chimney at an angle to reach that point, then went vertical.

Jim Zborowski
02-06-2008, 04:06 AM
See this all the time. Jerry's right,the old timers usually used a couple 1x's or 2x's as a temporary support during the layup and just left them in place. I have seen chimneys as far as a 45 degree angle at times.

Jerry Peck
02-06-2008, 06:22 AM
:)
I have seen chimneys as far as a 45 degree angle at times.

Jim,

I hope you guys don't have any earth shaking events there.:D

Jim Zborowski
02-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Only had one tremor here, back arround 1964 ( some fault originating by St Louis ). Mostly we just get bunch of snow, cold, and tornado's.