PDA

View Full Version : ladder not flush & #12 bnding wire

Jerome W. Young
02-10-2008, 02:07 PM
this ladder was about 6 inches from the side of the pool. Never seen that before. Is this wrong or am i missing something.

They also used #12 awg to run the bond from the pool heater to the pump etc.
I believe it should be larger yes?

Rick Hurst
02-10-2008, 02:21 PM
#8 should be used for bonding of the equipment.

and no that ladder should be mounted to prevent movement.

Crack between the cove and the pool deck should be sealed also.

Jerry Peck
02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
The ladder legs should be tight against the pool wall to prevent entrapment, pinching, etc.

That ladder also does not give much 'finger room' at the edge of the coping either, and that is not good either.

As Rick said: #8 minimum.

However, that crack around the pool ... that is no different than if pavers or nothing were there, nothing really wrong with it. Of course, if the pool was not backfilled and compacted correctly, then you would not see that settlement like you would with pavers or nothing.

You just do not want a 'trip edge' at the coping / pool deck.

Jerome W. Young
02-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks Again!

BARRY ADAIR
02-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Have to agree with Rick on sealing the coping crack too avoid collection of standing water, debris build-up, root and freeze expansion damage.

I know the pool in question is in FL but this is required to be noted in a CPI report, in TX.

Jerry Peck
02-11-2008, 07:03 AM
freeze expansion damage.

Barry,

The frost line where Jerome live is probably around 2,000 altitude. :D Freeze expansion damage is not a worry there, not even where I am, which is about 140 miles north.

Are you guys also required to write it up when there is a paver deck installed?

How about when no deck is installed? How is that 'sealed'? :confused:

BARRY ADAIR
02-12-2008, 03:10 AM
Jerry,

There should be adequate clearance around the pool to avoid tripping near the water's edge.

State or local regulations may require an unobstructed 4' deck clearance from the pool's edge.

Any irregularity "tripping hazard" in the deck/coping surfaces would be noted. (Paver deck)

Absence of an adequate deck or swim out surface, based on the above, would also be noted.

State link (http://www.apbf.highpowersites.com/page/page/2161133.htm)

Jerry Peck
02-12-2008, 06:39 AM
There should be adequate clearance around the pool to avoid tripping near the water's edge.

"Clearance"? You mean no changes in level greater than about 1/2" in the walking surface. Many pools have a raised coping curb around the pool.

State or local regulations may require an unobstructed 4' deck clearance from the pool's edge.

"May", I guess, however, I've never seen any such requirements.

Any irregularity "tripping hazard" in the deck/coping surfaces would be noted. (Paver deck)

A paver deck is not a tripping hazard and does not have what you would call "any irregularity" or "tripping hazard" ... unless there is soil subsidence around the pool from poor compaction or possibly a leak around a return or something else at the pool which is causing soil wash out or further compaction (which goes back to poor compaction).

Absence of an adequate deck or swim out surface, based on the above, would also be noted.

State link (http://www.apbf.highpowersites.com/page/page/2161133.htm)

Not sure what the "state link" was to show, but there is no requirement for a deck around a pool anywhere I've seen (other than public pools), I'm sure there may be some places which have that requirement - just have never heard of it anywhere for residential pools.

BARRY ADAIR
02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
"Clearance"? You mean no changes in level greater than about 1/2" in the walking surface.

1/4" in TX

"May", I guess, however, I've never seen any such requirements.

Most munis around here have adopted (http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=25&pt=1&ch=265&rl=186)
for residential pools as well

A paver deck is not a tripping hazard and does not have what you would call "any irregularity" or "tripping hazard" ... unless there is soil subsidence around the pool from poor compaction or possibly a leak around a return or something else at the pool which is causing soil wash out or further compaction (which goes back to poor compaction).

Not sure what the "state link" was to show, but there is no requirement for a deck around a pool anywhere I've seen (other than public pools), I'm sure there may be some places which have that requirement - just have never heard of it anywhere for residential pools.

See link above

Hope this helps.

Jerry Peck
02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm ... Texas requires a 4 foot deck around residential pools and Florida does not. How about that.