PDA

View Full Version : flat to pitch transition

Jerome W. Young
02-10-2008, 02:10 PM
any concerns with only this mortar being used between the torch down and tile?

Jerry Peck
02-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Nope, not for what you can see.

The modified should be over a metal flashing, the mortar just closes up the gap between the flashing, the modified, and the tile.

There were no nails in those top course tiles, were there?

Jerome W. Young
02-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I dont believe so Jerry. I think foam and mortar only

Craig Olsson
02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Is this transition installed in an area of the country where freeze/thaw cycles are part of normal weather patterns? If so, I can see that mortar transition blowing up after not very many cold seasons. I imagine it does not freeze often in Florida, however the coldest Christmas I ever spent was in sunny Florida where I scraped ice from my car windows every morning and the orange juice was frozen on the trees.

Gregory S. Finkel
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
From what I see flashing should be installed under the rolled or bituminus roofing and over top of the pitched roofing. The seam would than be tarred in

Gunnar Alquist
02-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Is this transition installed in an area of the country where freeze/thaw cycles are part of normal weather patterns? If so, I can see that mortar transition blowing up after not very many cold seasons. I imagine it does not freeze often in Florida, however the coldest Christmas I ever spent was in sunny Florida where I scraped ice from my car windows every morning and the orange juice was frozen on the trees.

Craig,

Was this 1989? We went to the Tarpon Springs area to visit my wife's parents and sister and I FROZE! I had only brought a sweatshirt because my wife told me I wouldn't need much else. I was in the back yard with my father-in-law picking rock-hard grapefruit and oranges off of the tree and tarping the trees in (what felt like) sub-arctic conditions.

I really dislike Florida.

Jerry Peck
02-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Let's see ...

I was in Gainesville, Florida from 1967 to 1987 and the coldest I recall was ...

which was beat by 1981 - my thermometer read -9- degrees in the morning when I got up and went outside, the sun had already been up, so it may have been colder

1983 when we had a record 43 hours below freezing weather (causing pipes to burst in attic all over Gainesville, keeping my brother-in-law busy as we were both contractors)

1984 when we broke the above record with 44 hours below freezing weather and got to do it all over again

1987 (or thereabouts, may have been 1988?) when shortly after moving to South Florida it froze as far down as South Dade county, south of Miami, and froze all the tomatoes on the plants.

We had a couple of good freezes down there since, but not sure they were any worse.

Remember, though, that Florida is a very long state (not very wide though) and thus the weather difference between South Florida and North Florida, where Gainesville is, and even further north, is quite a bit different. I am now in Central Florida, albeit on the Atlantic coast (our house is only 4 miles inland from the beach), so we are tempered by the oceans temperature much more than inland areas like Orlando or Gainesville are.

We spent this past weekend in our short pants and tee shirts.

This morning at 8 am it was 45 degrees, by 11 am it was 70 degrees, I rode my bicycle 1.8 miles to get lunch and then back ... in a short sleeve shirt.

Richard Rushing
02-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Oh man... I could-a done without that visual of Jerry in shorts, on a bike.
Man, that's just too much information... :D
THREE DEMERITS!!!

(scrambles to look for Jerry's email address)
I ought-a send a video of my wife's solo dancing tonight... that ought-a make us even!! I felt like scratching my eyes out after I quit laughing.:D

Rich

Craig Olsson
02-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Craig,

Was this 1989? We went to the Tarpon Springs area to visit my wife's parents and sister and I FROZE! I had only brought a sweatshirt because my wife told me I wouldn't need much else. I was in the back yard with my father-in-law picking rock-hard grapefruit and oranges off of the tree and tarping the trees in (what felt like) sub-arctic conditions.

I really dislike Florida.

Gunnar,

Sorry about the lag in my response. I have been away for awhile - and not to Florida, you can safely bet.

My frozen Florida visit must have been earlier in the 80's - perhaps 1984, but I do not remember precisely. My friends lured me to Fort Meyers, FL with promises of a tropical Christmas and their assurances that I did not even need to bring a coat. Their house had no heat source other than an electric stovetop. We spent evenings and mornings huddled around its four burners that glowed bright orange on high. Daytimes, we drove around with the car heater warming us. I've not been to Florida since. My friends moved to Vermont and divorced. I speculated their divorce was an unavoidable consequence of their disillusionment with Florida.

Craig Olsson

Jerry Peck
02-25-2008, 09:54 AM
All I can tell you guys complaining about Florida is that this past weekend we were back down in South Florida and complaining about 'how hot it was', we were glad to get back up here where, last night, it was 69, perfect with the doors and windows open. :D

Right now, it is 76 outside. :)

Yes, there have been "freezes" where it got 'bitterly cold down here', but remember, when it was that cold down here, it was (more often than not) 'horribly frozen up there'.

Been there, done that, and, yeah, moving to frozen Vermont (as compared to Florida) will do that to a couple. :rolleyes:

David Banks
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Well I have been in South Florida for a Month now and no sign of cold air. beautiful every day except a couple of rainy days. 86 degrees last 2 days. I love it! Spent last weekend in the Keys. My wife's boyfriend lives there and took us out on his boat. Spent 2 days on a sand bar at low tide drinking ice cold rolling rocks. 80 -85 with slight breeze. Heaven I tell ya!

Jerry spend a night in Daytona on the way down. My long lost cousin is the manager of the Iron Horse Saloon. Huge biker bar. My wife and I walked in like a couple of preppies and they turned and stare like what the hell are you two doing in here. Turned out fine as his wife was the bar keep.

Jerry Peck
02-25-2008, 11:59 AM
My long lost cousin is the manager of the Iron Horse Saloon. Huge biker bar.

Yep, and exactly why I've never had an urge or reason to go in there.

But you did, and got away with it. :D

When you stopped by there, you were (as the crow flies) within 2 miles of our house, or about 2.3 miles as the roads take you.

Craig Olsson
02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
All I can tell you guys complaining about Florida is that this past weekend we were back down in South Florida and complaining about 'how hot it was', we were glad to get back up here where, last night, it was 69, perfect with the doors and windows open. :D

Right now, it is 76 outside. :)

Yes, there have been "freezes" where it got 'bitterly cold down here', but remember, when it was that cold down here, it was (more often than not) 'horribly frozen up there'.

Been there, done that, and, yeah, moving to frozen Vermont (as compared to Florida) will do that to a couple. :rolleyes:

To be fair, I quite liked Florida on other visits. I parachuted into Biscayne Bay in 1973 while in USAF survival training at Homestead AFB. It was 75º in February and gorgeous. I have enjoyed balmy weather in Naples, Orlando, Miami, and the former Cape Canaveral space launch site. I spent enough time in FL to enjoy (?) 100º and 99% relative humidity in those same locales.

My comments ought to have remained on topic, which was my comment about the mortar joint being susceptible to damage from freezing weather. Another problem with that mortar joint is that the adjacent roofing materials have rates of thermal expansion that are different from each other and from that of mortar. As well, mortar has very poor bonding characteristics with other materials. So, mixing materials with differential thermal expansion, poor bonding characteristics and the action of freeze/thaw cycles will assure that the joint in question is more of a decorative detail than an effective weather joint. A better solution might be a liquid applied, UV-resistant, moisture-cured urethane bead. Self-leveling products are available and ought to bear up to thermal expansion, freeze/thaw, and normal building movement for the life of the roofing materials.

Off topic again - I have lived in sunny southern California for the past four years, Jerry, and, like you, I quite appreciate beautiful weather like we have here in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. We have had freezing weather on just a couple of nights when it dipped down to 28º and killed our tomato plants in January 2007. While the temperature sometimes rises to the high 90s in the span from July to September, the humidity is always civilized.

Off to the coffee shop on my bike!

Paul Kondzich
02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Another response that has nothing to do with the roof. I spent 21 years in Naples. For some unknown reason I moved to Colorado about 3 years ago.

It never ceases to amaze me when I mention FL here, the first response I get is about the humidity. Hello!!! The last time I heard that the thermometer read -15 here. I am lucky if you can sleep with the windows open in the summer. The "natural" beauty of Colorado can be breathtaking, and all the signs in WalMart are english only.

Me, I will take the "awful' summers, "all" the bugs, a little wind, and English as the second language.

Jerry Peck
02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Me, I will take the "awful' summers, "all" the bugs, a little wind, and English as the second language.

Spoken like a true South Floridian would say it. :D

David Banks
02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Yep, and exactly why I've never had an urge or reason to go in there.

But you did, and got away with it. :D

When you stopped by there, you were (as the crow flies) within 2 miles of our house, or about 2.3 miles as the roads take you.

I was thinking of stopping in but remembered that picture you posted with those chairs and had second thoughts. :)
Took AiA down from St. Augustine. Very impressive. St Augustine Beach to Flagler were very nice. Beautiful convertible day ride!
Checked out Naples, Bonita Springs,Fort Meyers Beach area also. Fire sale on housing in Fort Meyers area. Read there is 12,500 houses for sale between 100,000-175,000.
By the way if you ever want to stop for a drink in the Iron Horse Saloon you can use my name. You might only get beat up once :)
Actually not that bad of a place. They do a lot of charity rides etc. Place is pretty amazing out back. Room for 5 vendors a band, have there own store. 5 bars. Make most of their money on biker week. He also has a basic campground out near you I believe.