PDA

View Full Version : Dead Bolt Locks (Double Keyed)

Joseph P. Hagarty
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I just received this as part of someone's emailed Newsletter...

What do you think....?

Safety Tip:

Install good locks on your home. Your home should have deadbolts with full one-inch bolts on all entry doors in addition to existing locksets. Any door with glass panels within three feet of the lock should have a double cylinder deadbolt, which requires a key on both sides.

Michael Larson
02-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I just received this as part of someone's emailed Newsletter...

What do you think....?

Safety Tip:

Install good locks on your home. Your home should have deadbolts with full one-inch bolts on all entry doors in addition to existing locksets. Any door with glass panels within three feet of the lock should have a double cylinder deadbolt, which requires a key on both sides.
_________________________That's fine until you want to get out in an emergency and have to look for the key.

Nolan Kienitz
02-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I write 'em up when there is not a thumb latch for release on the interior.

Noting Michael's comment about "in an emergency" ...

... now I don't want to get into a discussion about the glass and the thumb latch, etc., etc.

Richard Moore
02-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Change the lock, get a dog!

Matthew Barnicle
02-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Pretty ridiculous. If some stranger wants to get in, they are going to get in anyway. Better to be able to get out in an emergency. Pretty simple risk reward comparison.

Victor DaGraca
02-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Aside from common sense and risk/reward exercises, there's always this.....2006 IRC

R310.1.4 Operational constraints. Emergency escape and
rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the
room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.

Jerry Peck
02-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Also from the IRC. (underlining is mine)

- R311.4.4 Type of lock or latch. All egress doors shall be readily openable from the side from which egress is to be made without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort.

brian schmitt
02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
the lock is illegal and life endangering. remove lock, get a dog and a 12 guage. 9mm for backup?:D

JB Thompson
02-15-2008, 10:16 AM
As a fireman...double-keyed locks are dangerous!

Glenn Duxbury
02-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Good comments, Guys; and

* Security film applied to that door glass usually stops 'em (much like a car windshield) ! Much better than being cooked alive...

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI
Glenn Duxbury & Associates-Building Inspection and Consulting

Jerry McCarthy
02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Same as security bars on sleeping room windows without interior breakaway features, folks would rather be incinerated than be robbed. Go figure?

JB Thompson
02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Same as security bars on sleeping room windows without interior breakaway features, folks would rather be incinerated than be robbed. Go figure?

Agreed. I literally can't count on one hand how many people we've had in Dallas die because they were trapped in their own home during a fire. Sad, really. Usually these are on lower-income homes.

Jerry Peck
02-15-2008, 01:38 PM
* Security film applied to that door glass usually stops 'em (much like a car windshield) !

Glenn,

Not really. (I am presuming you are referring to the stuff sold and installed all over by the window tinting film people who just apply the film to the inside of the glass.)

The only "security film" which works is that which is applied to the glass and extends over onto the frame around the glass, which is then securely attached to the frame around the glass with a special fastening trim to hold the film to the frame, not relying on the glass for anything other than keeping the film from flapping in the breeze ... and that is with "special film" too, not the normal stuff being sold.

Whenever you see "security film" installed on the glass and trimmed off at the frame, one smash and the glass goes ... taking the "security film" with it. So much for being "secure" with that one big open hole, actually makes it safer to the unwanted person to enter as it holds the glass together instead of leaving large dangerous shards for them to have to climb through. :D

Eric Shuman
02-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Pretty ridiculous. If some stranger wants to get in, they are going to get in anyway. Better to be able to get out in an emergency. Pretty simple risk reward comparison.

I agree, Matthew. Besides the obvious safety issue of egress, I have never understood the concept that since there is a glass pane next to the lock it should be double keyed because a would-be thief could easily break the glass and unlock the door.

If a thief is going to break glass to enter the house, what is to stop them from breaking a window and unlocking it so they can enter that way.

It is very rare that I see keyed locks on windows! :D

Eric

Jim Robinson
02-16-2008, 07:55 AM
A few years back I had someone hire me to install a deadbolt in a full glass back door. I don't remember if it was keyed both sides or not, but I thought it was kind of funny. If the fact that the door was locked with the door latch didn't stop them, I doubt that the deadbolt would have since all they had to do was break the glass and walk right through the opening. It was even tempered glass so the thief wouldn't cut himself on the way through the door.

Matthew Barnicle
02-16-2008, 11:57 AM
I don't even like burgular bars with the quick release. When I was a teenager, I lived in a house that had those, but I only learned what the knob on the wall (the quick release) was for until a year after living there. I always thought it was for haning up my clothes (maybe that's why I didn't want to know what it was). I think if someone is panicked and suffering from lack of oxygen, they are not going to be able to get out in a timely manner. I write them up every time, no matter what.
"Burgular bars installed on bedroom windows may prevent a timely escape in the event of fire. Recommend removal."

Jerry Peck
02-16-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't even like burgular bars with the quick release. When I was a teenager, I lived in a house that had those, but I only learned what the knob on the wall (the quick release) was for until a year after living there.

Matthew,

That comes under the "or special knowledge" prohibition in the code.

" without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort."