PDA

View Full Version : Electrical

Zibby Swieca
02-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Is this acceptable connection for light fixture and hot water heater?
Thanks

Jerry Peck
02-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Nope and nope.

John Steinke
02-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I've seen those lights, and I defy one to NOT use the supplied plug. There's simply no way to remove the factory plug. You have no choice but to connect them using the cord and plug.

The same lights -at least the one I saw- also specified that the fixture be hung, and not mounted flat against the ceiling ... supposedly to help with cooling the ballast. Again, with this particular fixture, I defy one to change the ballast, without destroying the fixture.

When the fixture is hung, say, from a chain ... use of a cord and plug is certainly acceptable.

Billy Stephens
02-18-2008, 07:54 AM
... use of a cord and plug is certainly acceptable.

Not in that Amateur Installed Open Outlet. ;)

Richard Rushing
02-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Yes, the use of jack-chain and suspension of that fixture due to ballast heat-generation is advised. However, as stated, that plug is a safety concern.

Rich

Jerry Peck
02-18-2008, 05:14 PM
I've seen those lights, and I defy one to NOT use the supplied plug. There's simply no way to remove the factory plug. You have no choice but to connect them using the cord and plug.

The same lights -at least the one I saw- also specified that the fixture be hung, and not mounted flat against the ceiling ... supposedly to help with cooling the ballast. Again, with this particular fixture, I defy one to change the ballast, without destroying the fixture.

When the fixture is hung, say, from a chain ... use of a cord and plug is certainly acceptable.

Yes, but ...

As the others have stated, *not* with that open receptacle, and, ... *NOT* mounted flat to the ceiling.

*NOT* mounted flat to the ceiling, but instead being (as the manufacturer stated) 'chain hung' makes it 'not' considered permanent, i.e., it can then be cord and plug connected.

John, you are correct about *the cord and plug part*, now, though, you just need to 'consider the other stuff'. :) But ... you are getting better. :D