PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional ridge/valley

Eric Shuman
02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
The instersection of the ridge/valley at this roof makes me a bit nervous. Seems like water could get under those ridge shingles fairly easily with the right stituation in play.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Thomas
02-19-2008, 07:18 AM
For starters, it's hard to tell in the picture, but are all those roof planes 4/12 or greater?

In any case I sure hope there is waterproof shingle underlayment under there all the way down from the ridge at that right hand valley, because I share your suspicion that water is going be driven up under the edges of the shingles to the left. Also looks to me (would like to see a picture from below) like that detailing at the bottom of the left hand valley is likely a problem as well.

Jerry McCarthy
02-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Whoever designed that roof configuration should have their pencils, slide rule and drafting paper removed from their possession as it is "BUTT UGLY!" Properly installed underlayment will probably keep the house dry, but then again who knows?
The Shadow may :confused:

Rod Aparicio
02-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Guys,

Is it me or do I notice a small indentation/sag on the roof? Look at bottom right hand corner of the photo....just off of that at about a 45 degree angle. Do you guys see that? How was the roof over all Eric?

Thanks!

Jerry Peck
02-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Rod,

Yes, it does look like that, doesn't it.

Markus Keller
02-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Definitely going to leak, especially with snow and thaw cycles. The shingles should have been continued through the valley up to the ridge creating a typical lap joint, not cut as it appears in the photo. Unless they have a continuous ice/water shield running through the valley to the ridge it won't last. Depending on what kind of inspection you are doing, consider giving client info on roofing procedure options and checking warranty paperwork. If you lift shingles (carefully) at gutter line you can sometimes determine if they put down ice/water shield or just #15 felt.

Door Guy
06-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Guys,

Is it me or do I notice a small indentation/sag on the roof? Look at bottom right hand corner of the photo....just off of that at about a 45 degree angle. Do you guys see that? How was the roof over all Eric?

Thanks!

Is that a sag or yet another change in the pitch. Looks to me like the pitch increases there and the lower level has a less steep pitch.

Door Guy
06-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Whoever designed that roof configuration should have their pencils, slide rule and drafting paper removed from their possession as it is "BUTT UGLY!" Properly installed underlayment will probably keep the house dry, but then again who knows?
The Shadow may :confused:
My guess, someone who is qualified didn't design this!