PDA

View Full Version : vertical pipe on relief line

wes owens
04-18-2007, 03:03 PM
This pressure relief line is vertical for 13" before going through the wall.
I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Rick Hurst
04-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Wes,

The T&P drain line can't run in an upwards position regardless.

And that electrical supply line should be enclosed in protective material.

Rick

Tim Moreira
04-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Wes, as you most likely know, that PTR line should terminate straight down or to the exterior assuming that is slopes down as Rick stated.

Also is that pipe PVC or CPVC? PVC is not allowed for that application.

From the 03 IRC:

P2803.6.1 Requirements of discharge pipe.
The outlet of a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof, shall not be directly connected to the drainage system. The discharge from the relief valve shall be piped full size separately to the floor, to the outside of the building or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building. In areas subject to freezing, the relief valve shall discharge through an air gap into an indirect waste receptor located within a heated space, or by other approved means. The discharge shall be installed in a manner that does not cause personal injury or property damage and that is readily observable by the building occupants. The discharge from a relief valve shall not be trapped. The diameter of the discharge piping shall not be less than the diameter of the relief valve outlet. The discharge pipe shall be installed so as to drain by gravity flow and shall terminate atmospherically not more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor. The outlet end of the discharge pipe shall not have a valve installed.

wes owens
04-18-2007, 03:35 PM
It is CPVC.

Jim Robinson
04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm sure someone else knows for sure, but I thought no plastic pipe to the water heater for the last 18".

Brian E Kelly
04-18-2007, 04:06 PM
There are plastic relief valve tubes sold and approved by local code inspectors. At least here in BOONIES NY. This pipe is actually a thinner pipe that CPVC or PVC pipe. Go figure.

Jerry Peck
04-18-2007, 04:11 PM
The T&P drain line can't run in an upwards position regardless.

Well, I hate to dispute you, but ... :D ... "it can", you were looking at it. :p

I know, you meant to say that it "should not" or "is not allowed to". :cool:

Jerry Peck
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm sure someone else knows for sure, but I thought no plastic pipe to the water heater for the last 18".

CPVC is approved for use as T&P relief valve discharge lines.

John Arnold
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM

Jim - Maybe you're thinking of the hot/cold connections at the top. I believe cpvc should not be used within 18" of those.

Jim Robinson
04-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Yes. I had no problem with the CPVC for the TPR. I was referring to the incoming cold and outgoing hot water lines on top of the water heater.

Tim Moreira
04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Without looking it up, I thought CPVC was permitted for distribution piping?

Yes or No???

Jerry Peck
04-18-2007, 06:48 PM
The only problem with the CPVC for the hot or cold would be if that was not electric, but it is.

The CPVC would, should, be 6" from the draft hood.

Even poly bute was only 12" from a heat source like the draft hood.

Jim Robinson
04-18-2007, 07:30 PM
My bad. I didn't realize it was electric. I rarely see an electric water heater (five or six times a year) so I didn't even think about that aspect.