PDA

View Full Version : Window in combo bath/shower area

imported_John Smith
04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Any one ever seen a window detailed like this before? It was about 45" above the bathtub floor. It looks like it would be a major collector for shower water. There was a bull nose tile detail and tile up to the window. The window was clear glass and didnt appear to be safety glass.

I have seen plenty of windows over bathtubs/whirlpools, and even some very small windows at the top of shower stalls.

Jerry Peck
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Used to see them all the time on older homes, then saw then just above 60" on newer homes.

The house was probably built before that came into the codes ... however, that does not mean it is any safer in an older home than if it were in a newer home, just means that someone besides the builder needs to pay for safety glass.

Scott Patterson
04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Jerry and Dan covered it very well. Very common in homes built in the 50's & 60's. Also about a better than average chance the sill area will have water damage.

Jim Robinson
04-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh yeah. I've got a whole town full of that setup. Very common place for water damage. I've got a paragraph all set up in my report for it. Back when I did remodeling we replaced lots of rotted studs in the wall cavity under the windows.

Hey, my spell check is working, but the little ABC icon never showed up.

Rick Hurst
04-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Agree with the others.

If you see any soap / shampoo bottles stacked on the window ledge, you can just about count on the wooden sills to be rotted out due to the moisture run-off from the bottles.