PDA

View Full Version : Driveway Drainage

Don Jackson
02-23-2008, 01:46 PM
This client has a problem with driveway drainage. He is a Florida resident living in a cul-de-sac. Whenever it rains a fair amount, the end of his driveway collects a pool of water. Being at the end of his driveway and street, I'm not sure how to suggest any remedy. Is it a city matter or is there something he could do to fix the problem?

Billy Stephens
02-23-2008, 01:56 PM
--- Is it a city matter or is there something he could do to fix the problem?

Don,

Other than move? No.

If you reverse the Is it to It is a city problem you have his answer.

I pity the guy behind the fence of that small pond. :eek:

Jim Zborowski
02-23-2008, 04:51 PM
You would hhave to shoot the grade with a tranit to determine if the garage floor is higher than the road. If it is, you could redo the driveway to pitch so water runs onto the road. Without actually seeing it first hand it's hard to say. A good concrete guy may be ableto do some creative flatwork to redirect the water.

Rick Hurst
02-23-2008, 05:23 PM
I would probably stock it with some catfish. :D

Billy Stephens
02-23-2008, 05:49 PM
This client has a problem with driveway drainage. He is a Florida resident living in a cul-de-sac. Whenever it rains a fair amount, the end of his driveway collects a pool of water. Being at the end of his driveway and street,

You would hhave to shoot the grade with a tranit to determine if the garage floor is higher than the road. If it is, you could redo the driveway to pitch so water runs onto the road. Without actually seeing it first hand it's hard to say. A good concrete guy may be ableto do some creative flatwork to redirect the water.

Jim,

As that would work and may have already been done.

Anything beyond that would involve the City Public works.

There appears to be a storm drain right across the street and the neighbors house behind the end of the coves fence seems to be lower than the street.

Nick Ostrowski
02-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Looks like the end result of poor planning to me.

Jerry Peck
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Could be a clogged storm drain.

Could be a storm drain going into a 'dry well'/'french drain' (like is in front of our house - whenever it rains, the storm drain fills and the street floods similar to that, given enough time, the water goes down. We've called the city and they will come out and pump it out, but the problem is that it is not connected to anything, it is a 'dry well' used for that purpose, obviously, the dry well is not of sufficient capacity and the percolation into the soil is not sufficient to drain the water off soon enough.

However, there is another dry well storm drain on the other side of the street (exactly opposite the one on our side) and it drains down quite fast. And, nope, they are not connected. It's the way our subdivision was built.

If there is no storm drain there, then it is a grading problem.

If (IF) the city has jurisdiction over that street, the problem 'might' be theirs.

I would call the city first, you may end up finding out that there is basically nothing which can be done (as we did - but at least ours is not at the driveway).

Greg D. Dames
02-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Kids need "Water Wings" to play basketball.

BridgeMan
01-17-2012, 02:44 AM
I'd call the local government entity, and ask them how they plan to deal with THEIR problem. Should they choose to avoid the problem, simply suggest you'll happily hire engineering and construction firms to deal with the issue, and fully expect the AHJ to pay the bills for same after the corrective work for THEIR problem is completed.

Garry Sorrells
01-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Think like a Realtor, it is a water feature.

Kristi Silber
01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
It looks like it's collecting not just on the asphalt areas, but on the lawn as well. If that's true they might alleviate some of the problem by digging a drywell. I dug a couple on my property (which has very clayey soil) and they work better than I could have hoped for.