PDA

View Full Version : How to write this up?

Zibby Swieca
02-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks.

Rick Hurst
02-27-2008, 07:13 AM
If I was going to write it up I might say that a baffle used for ventilation purposes is not secured.

One as such by itself would probably not make it on my report though.

John Arnold
02-27-2008, 07:31 AM
What's up with the roof and the attic "floor" being insulated, in a ventilated attic? I don't see that around here.

Rick Hurst
02-27-2008, 07:56 AM
There is no attic floor in an area as such around here. The loose fill insulation is blown directly between the ceiling rafters onto the top of the ceiling drywall.

You might have flooring in the attic space over a garage for storage purposes and should have it around any mechanicals in the attic.

John Arnold
02-27-2008, 08:02 AM
There is no attic floor in an area as such around here. The loose fill insulation is blown directly between the ceiling rafters onto the top of the ceiling drywall.

You might have flooring in the attic space over a garage for storage purposes and should have it around any mechanicals in the attic.

That's why I put floor in quotes. I realize there's no actual floor. I just don't see insulated roof decking unless the attic is to be a conditioned space, and this one is ventilated.

Rick Hurst
02-27-2008, 08:04 AM
That insulated roof decking is too help us out in the summer with those 100+ degree days.

Matthew Barnicle
02-27-2008, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't bother writing it up. Plenty of other baffles to provide ventilation.
But if you want to. I would write: "Insulation/ventilation baffle in attic is displaced/not functioning as intended. Recommend repair by licensed contractor."

Scott Patterson
02-27-2008, 08:18 AM
How to write this up?
Thanks.

Well, I would write this up.

It looks like the baffles are poorly attached. The one to the right has two baffles in the same bay. This also looks like new construction so I would write that the baffles are poorly installed and in some cases have been knocked out of place when the insulation was blown into the attic. May not be a "big deal" but, if these folks sell the home at a later date and it is inspected, they might be forced to make the repairs then.

If it ain't right report it.

Zibby Swieca
02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Homes

Aaron Miller
02-27-2008, 08:57 AM
The siding installer is at least consistent in his nailing too close to the ends of the pales. The drip edge flashing is missing and the starter row does not appear to be correctly installed.

Nice job, who's the "builder"?

Aaron:D

Zibby Swieca
02-27-2008, 09:05 AM
K....

Jerry Peck
02-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Insulation blocking soffit vent(s).

No drip edge installed, fascia and sheathing is decayed / rotted out.

I would describe the person who oversaw the construction of that house as a 'de-constructor' as they can take building materials and "de-construct" those materials to their organic matter state.

Scott Patterson
02-27-2008, 09:12 AM
K....

I'll buy an "A" Pat!

OK, who is "K".....

Zibby Swieca
02-27-2008, 09:18 AM
This is KB home.

Aaron Miller
02-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Kan't Build Homes?

Byron Harris | WFAA.com (http://www.wfaa.com/s/dws/wfaa/bharris/stories/wfaa050228_am_arlhome.f33c02bb.html)

Aaron:eek:

PS Might be my last post. Diamond Tony has dropped the prverbial dime to the Hann in the Sky.

Brandon Chew
02-27-2008, 09:34 AM
What's up with the roof and the attic "floor" being insulated, in a ventilated attic? I don't see that around here.

LP TechShield is OSB roof sheathing with perforated foil laminated on the house side to form a radiant barrier. It's primary use is to reduce heat gain from the sun in warm climates, which will save on air conditioning costs. It will also reduce heat loss from the home in colder climates, but that's less of a factor (probably not significant enough to justify the cost), especially with a well ventilated attic space (a lot of the reflected heat energy will just wind up being transferred to the air in the attic space and then vented to the exterior).

When the radiant barrier, attic ventilation system, and conventional insulation are all properly installed they work well together.

Product info here: Radiant Barrier – LP (http://www.lpcorp.com/radiantbarrier/radiantbarrier.aspx)

Jerry Peck
02-27-2008, 09:39 AM
PS Might be my last post. Diamond Tony has dropped the prverbial dime to the Hann in the Sky.

Just be careful the next 30 days and the demerit will go away.

Maybe we need to report TM's posts?

Aaron Miller
02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
EC Jerry:

It might help, who knows? There's no accounting for common sense nowadays; I don't know anything about the Hann in the Sky; and I many years ago stopped caring what other people think about what I say. Besides, we probably shouldn't stoop to the dime dropper's disgustingly
l-o-w standards. Too big a step out of character. Might strain a ligament or something.

If it comes to that . . .alas, I must go . . . like the man said: "I wouldn't be a member of any club that would have me as a member.":D

Aaron

Scott Patterson
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Just be careful the next 30 days and the demerit will go away.

Maybe we need to report TM's posts?

A little more thread drift!

I'm betting that we have less than 10-15 folks who still recall the post made by TM, heck what was it about four or five years ago? I'm thinking that it is best to just let this one dye on the vine. After another few years it will be all but completely forgotten, I hope.

As Jerry said just watch your P's and Q's and all will be fine. Brian is a good guy as we all know he puts up with a ton of crap. I think he instituted this primarily due to the large influx of folks who are leaving INACHI. I have never seen a person introduction post with as many post as Ray has on his.

Aaron Miller
02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
As Jerry said just watch your P's and Q's and all will be fine.

My momma told me that very thing nearly 60 years ago. I sort of tried to listen. Over the years it has just gotten completely away from me. I vacilate constantly between "treat others as you would be treated" and "reach up on the wall baby, hand me down my shootin' iron".

It's a Yin-Yang thing.

Aaron Miller
02-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Quickly before someone jumps on it, I just forgot to run spell check on the last post. Yes it's vacillate and not vacilate. This whole religious attention to the spelling thing on this forum is sometimes a bit unnerving and brings to mind something George Carlin once said,

"Talk about wrong priorities. We live in a country that has a National Spelling Bee. We actually give prizes for spelling! But when's the last time you heard about a thinking bee? Or a reasoning bee? Maybe an ethics bee? Never."

Tony Mount
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I think you should bring anything that I have posted to Brian's attention if it was DEFAMATORY, ABUSIVE, VULGAR, HATEFUL, HARASSING, OBSCENE, PROFANE, or THREATENING which Aaron, and Richard obviously don't know the meaning to. And Jerry you will remain anonymous, that means that Brian won't tell on you if you do.

Scott Patterson
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
I think you should bring anything that I have posted to Brian's attention if it was DEFAMATORY, ABUSIVE, VULGAR, HATEFUL, HARASSING, OBSCENE, PROFANE, or THREATENING which Aaron, and Richard obviously don't know the meaning to. And Jerry you will remain anonymous, that means that Brian won't tell on you if you do.

The past is the past. What it is is what it is and it really does not need to be brought up. Brian said from the 26th forward.

John Arnold
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
...This whole religious attention to the spelling thing on this forum...

Religious attention to spelling!? Good one Aaron.
You're not serious?
Nearly every post on this board has at least one misspelling. Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration. But I would estimate it gets pointed out about 0.1% of the time, at best.