PDA

View Full Version : Siding question

Jeff Eastman
04-19-2007, 12:10 PM

Jerry Peck
04-19-2007, 12:15 PM
"Upper siding is hardiplank. Bottom of hardiplank rests on a wood ledge that is sloped nicely. The wood ledge rests on top of the lower, stone siding wiith caulk between the interface joint."

"1- Is the hardiplank be at least an 1/8 inch from the wood ledge?"

I believe it requires a 1/4" space below the Hardieplank.

"2- Is a flashing cap required between the wood ledge and the stone?"

Is the stone adhered veneer or installed with an air space like regular brick veneer?

If adhered veneer, it would be a good idea, but not sure that it would be "required".

If installed as 'masonry veneer' (like brick veneer), then, yes, it would need a through wall flashing (in this case, a cap flashing) attached to the wall and turned up the wall, extending out and across the air space, extend to the edge of the stone, or to within 1/2" of the edge of the stone (with the intent being to drain/weep all the water from above out and over the masonry veneer).

Mike Huppi
04-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Look at this and see if this answers your question. If not email me and I will send you the Hardi Trim installation guide it is too big for me to load on here.

Jerry Peck
04-19-2007, 07:35 PM
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/hardiplankinstall.pdf

Mike Huppi
04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Thats the one thanks

I see this stuff installed wrong every day. I called out the clearance and flashing needed around penetrations on two different homes today.

Martin lehman
04-20-2007, 07:27 AM
I realize these installation instructions are for James Hardie siding, but are the majority of manufacured siding installations basically the same as these?? As far as fastening requirements, not using staples, caulking of joints, clearances, etc.??

What is your experiance?

BTW, I always recommend siding maintain 4" clearance above hardscape, not 2". Is the 4" requirement only for wood??

Will Handley
04-21-2007, 10:18 AM
I realize these installation instructions are for James Hardie siding, but are the majority of manufacured siding installations basically the same as these?? As far as fastening requirements, not using staples, caulking of joints, clearances, etc.??

What is your experiance?

BTW, I always recommend siding maintain 4" clearance above hardscape, not 2". Is the 4" requirement only for wood??

I believe the deflection requirements are 4" from grade and 2" from paved or covered grade surfaces, ie; flat work.

I call it out on anything than can be damaged by water/moisture conditions.