PDA

View Full Version : whatzitt

Jim Dull
03-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Anyone know what this is? Is it for access to heating ducts for some reason? Whatever it is, the drywall is sloppy. There are 3 of these in the basement of this home.

BARRY ADAIR
03-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Plumbing wall clean out with threaded plug

Nick Ostrowski
03-02-2008, 09:46 AM
They look like cleanout caps for the sanitary drain line in the basement Jim. The studwalls should have been set back a little further from the foundation walls with removeable panels installed on the walls in front of the caps. The way they did it in your pic is just sloppy. It will likely result in damaged/stained drywall if the cleanouts ever need to be used.

Markus Keller
03-02-2008, 10:36 AM
agreed, plumbing stack clean outs. Easiest way to assess ... 'is there a kitchen or bathroom above where these clean-outs are located?'.

Jerry Peck
03-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Easiest way to assess ... 'is there a kitchen or bathroom above where these clean-outs are located?'.

If there is a story above (i.e., those in the basement or a lower floor), then the bathroom or kitchen does not need to be anywhere near the stack.

The stack can go up and turn horizontally in the ceiling / floor system and go all the way across the house.

Matt Fellman
03-02-2008, 11:10 AM
If your buyers don't like the look of them you might suggest they get ones that are flush with the wall. You will often see the flush ones on the surface of a walkway so they're not a trip hazard.

Jim Dull
03-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Markus Keller
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM
That isn't quite accurate Jerry,
Of course, I don't know how it's done in Florida but considering that the stack coming down is normally also the same stack going up ... (the vent). Fixtures would need to be within 5 feet of the stack to having a working vent. 5 feet is considered 'critical distance' up here. A fixture further than 5 feet from the stack (drain down, vent up) is not considered to be properly vented, even with the presence of a re-vent.
Just a clarification

Jerry Peck
03-03-2008, 07:19 AM
That isn't quite accurate Jerry,
Of course, I don't know how it's done in Florida but considering that the stack coming down is normally also the same stack going up ... (the vent).

Markus,

You mean you have never seen a stack go up, then horizontally (at the proper slope, of course) to a new location, then go up vertically?

I find it quite hard to believe that all the homes there are designed to have the stack totally vertical all the way with no lateral runs as that would severely limit the design and layout of rooms. :confused:

That would mean that only bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, etc., could be above or below one another.

I think you are confusing two things: the stack and the branch/fixture drains.

Done correctly (properly sloped horizontal runs) you can move the stack from one side of the house to the other, then back ... without regard as to it being vertical from the point it come out of the ground (at the basement, as in the photo)

In fact, you could run offset the stack horizontally (sloped, of course) within a wall ... except that you would most likely be cutting out more of the studs than allowed for notching and boring.

Markus Keller
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Jerry, by our trade practice and definition, a plumbing stack runs vertical, period with only two 45 degree off-sets allowed. Anything that runs horizontal is a drain line (most likely from a fixture) not a stack. No 90's allowed on a stack. Sure its done but that doesn't make it right. You can run a drain line horizontal all you want with a 1/4" slope but if it's not vented properly it won't drain properly.
Professionally, I care a great deal about proper venting. Venting is one of those critical items that the 'flipper's and scumbags' usually don't care about or really understand.
I know I'm going to have fun writing my report when I see that fixture bubble trying to drain.
Have fun.

James Duffin
03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Are you folks talking about a vent stack or a stack vent? They have different requirements as you know.

Jim Krause
03-11-2008, 06:02 PM
could it be some kind of plumbing fixture ? a clean-out ?

Victor DaGraca
03-11-2008, 06:18 PM
You can take that cap out, flip it around, and thread it back in, creating a "flush" cap. Of course the square protrusion now becomes an indent.

The only problem I can foresee is if that cap is to a cleanout that is not properly sloped..... could tend to stink things up a bit.