PDA

View Full Version : Bubble on Fascia Board

Bronson Beisel
03-04-2008, 04:04 PM
All-
A friend of mine recently called me frantic because she's experiencing a "Housing Bubble" of a different sort. She noticed a bulge in the paint on the fascia board on the side of her home. She decided to poke it, and sure enough water came out.

I've not had a chance to stop by and look at it, but she's wondering what is causing it. Have any of you seen something like this before (see attached photos)? Obviously, water is getting behind the paint, but I guess I've never seen the paint bulge out to hold so much water. Would it be bad shingles or just a lack of a drip edge or what?

Looking at the photos, it looks like the paint has peeled away at the top, so perhaps it's just collecting water and isn't necessarily a roof problem.

The roof is about 15 - 20 years old, and this hasn't happened anywhere else on the house in the 4 years she has lived there.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!

Bronson

Jerry Peck
03-04-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't see any drip edge.

That could have helped lead to the starting of it, then, as you said, the paint pulling loose at the top could collect water, expanding each time with the greater amounts of water accumulating in it.

Nick Ostrowski
03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Very odd how that water all collected in one spot. I don't see any drip edge flashing beneath the edge of the shingles. Might be a place to start.

wayne soper
03-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Yes, drip egde, and if it's not that there will be an extruding nail pushing through a shingle straight up from that area where water is running down the nail, down the plywood and on to the facia edge.
Has she painted lately and possibly removed the gutters?

Bronson Beisel
03-06-2008, 04:56 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. To answer one of the questions, nope, this house never had gutters. I'm going out there today to take a look at it for her. This is one housing bubble that I want to see burst. Take care.