PDA

View Full Version : Fell through a ceiling today.

william siegel
04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
That hasnt happened to me in 12 years. The first time only my foot went through. This time I was hanging from the rafters with my feet dangling. You know, the older you get, the harder this gets. Three feet seems like 10 when you have to let go. How did it happen - I really have no idea. I always move very slowly in an attic. I think there was a 2x4 stretched across a couple of rafters and I put pressure on the end of it, and that was all she wrote. It was a good thing the home was vacant. The look on the realtors face was priceless. So was the look on her face when I told her it would be fixed by Monday or Tuesday.

You know, it is much easier to write these after a couple of drinks. Im gonna be sore tomorrow.

Rick Cantrell
04-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you've had a couple already.:D

wayne soper
04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
I have never or intend to but may happen. I had a client once who did'nt believe me when I said, don't come up here and don't step on anything pink.
He fell into the master bedroom at which pint I asked him if he liked the house to which he replied. Kind of at which point I said." I hope so because you just bought it" Broker wanted me to fix it. Yeah right. when horses fly

Thom Walker
04-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Bill, Glad you're here to tell the story. Take 6 vodkas and call us in the morning.

Tim Moreira
04-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Never did that *in* a house, but I did do that on a dock I was rebuilding. My own fault and luckily when I went through I spread out my arms like wings and caught two of the joists. Kept me from falling on a nice big oyster bed and getting cut to ribbons.

Needless to say my triceps/biceps/underarms were purple for a week.

Crap happens. Could have been worse.

Glad to hear that old your pride was really hurt.

Jerry Peck
04-20-2007, 09:50 PM
I would say say 'Have a stiff one ... ', but you probably already are ... stiff.

Have one of my favorite ones - Diet Coke. :D

Joe Nernberg
04-22-2007, 08:45 AM
There are only two types of inspectors: The one that has stepped through a ceiling... and the one who will step through a ceiling. I have been in the biz for more than 10-years and stepped through twice. Lucky guy.

Jim Robinson
04-22-2007, 09:25 AM
How are you feeling today, Bill? I fell through while working several years back. It ripped up my shin pretty good, and left a hell of a nice bruise on my leg.

Jerry Peck
04-22-2007, 11:56 AM
There are only two types of inspectors: The one that has stepped through a ceiling... and the one who will step through a ceiling. I have been in the biz for more than 10-years and stepped through twice. Lucky guy

In 16 years of inspecting, I never did. Does that make me 'unlucky'? :D

william siegel
04-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Jerry,

Why does tnat not surprise me?

Jim,

I'm fine. Just brused a lilttle bit. Think my pride is hurt worse than anything.

Dave Bush
04-26-2007, 06:00 AM
I have managed to do it twice; foot only both times. Once, floor of the attic was decked with OSB and well insulated, however, right at the opening (of all places) the insulation went over the top of the OSB, the client asked me something about the same time my foot went right through the insulation to where the OSB SHOULD HAVE BEEN and right on through.

Second time, I was carefully walking on the chords of the rafters and reached for the next purlin, which apparently had never been nailed and momentum is not always a good thing, by the time I caught my balance, my foot was already through.

Phillip Stojanik
04-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Welcome to the club Bill!

I have been crawling in other people's attics for about 33 years now and I have managed to put my foot through two ceilings.

With any luck I will be retired before it happens again. I'm not counting on that though and that's why I always try to stay on good terms with a good drywall contractor!;)

Jerry Peck
04-26-2007, 02:52 PM
I have been crawling in other people's attics for about 33 years now and I have managed to put my foot through two ceilings.

Oh, so you have to go back 33 years? Huh? I'll show you. :D

Of course, Jerry M., will likely show me! :cool:

I've been crawling through attics since, oh, about 1959 or so when I started helping my Dad (an electrical contractor) pull wire. I, and my brothers, were smaller, so we got to pull the wire through the attics and crawlspaces. :p

My record is still -0- attics fallen or stepping through.

Rick Hurst
04-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Bill,

I hope the "twins" are ok.

Rick Hurst
04-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Bill,

At least your fall was not as bad as this poor man.

He's going to be hurting in the morning.

Travis Grubbs
04-27-2007, 03:59 AM
I have stepped through to two ceilings in the past 13 years. The last time was about 10 years ago. My pride received the brunt of the pain. Since Jerry Peck has yet to violate a ceiling, I guess those of us that have are inspecting the attics more thoroughly.

Travis

Jerry Peck
04-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Since Jerry Peck has yet to violate a ceiling, I guess those of us that have are inspecting the attics more thoroughly.

Yes, I guess so, I've declined to inspect the interior gypsum core of the gypsum board, thus had no need to make those holes. :D

Phillip Stojanik
04-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Hey Jerry,

It sounds like you and I have a somewhat similar history. I started as a child slave in my father’s business as well at the tender age of 13. Instead of electrical though it was HVAC.

You definitely got a head start if you were already pulling wire back in 1959. That was the year I was born and did not start running ductwork until 13 years later. I made my first home inspection (mechanical only in those days) five years later at 18. The rest is…well…history!

Richard Rushing
04-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Where the hell is J-Mc?

Rich

Steve Brooten
04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I was just reminded of my only "trip" through a ceiling when I wrote off the expense on my just-barely-filed-in-time tax return. I haven't been around as long as Jerry or a couple of others, having only started poking around other folks' attics in 1971. Fortunately the only time wasn't too bad. The OSB the seller had put down had a bad spot and my knee went through it. Live and learn...