PDA

View Full Version : Noisy new window when opened

imported_John Smith
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Opened a new double pain vinyl clad window the other day and it made a loud pop like it broke. Upon further inspection, I noticed a small "twisted rod" with a hook clip on the bottom of that attaches to the bottom of the window. Apparently the clip had remained down when the window went up. I reattached the clip and the window seemed to work okay. The clip even stayed attached. I havent disassembled one of them to see what makes them work. Any advice/comments. Id hate to think a new window could break by simply opening it.

imported_John Smith
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I meant pane, but then again it was a pain. It slowed me down to look at it and reattach the clip.

Kevin Barre
03-05-2008, 07:31 PM
The "twisted" metal rod is part of the counter-balance system. If it repeatedly falls off the window attachment point you have a potential safety issue as the window can come crashing down. Usually, the other balance strip will function to some degree to prevent this. Sometimes during construction, the subs will remove a window for access. If they don't put it back in properly a situation such as you described will happen. (It happens a lot.)

The loud pop you heard was probably the incorrectly attached rod releasing from the window frame.

imported_John Smith
03-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks Kevin. Do you think simply reattaching the clip will restore the functionality of the mechanism. In other words, is it likely to keep reoccurring?

Matt Fellman
03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Some new windows I've seen lately have little metal clips on the fixed part of the frame (one on each side just above the top of the vent when closed on a single hung window). When you pull them out they detach the counterweight springs as you slide it upward, on purpose I suppose. They often get left out and lead to the exact scenario you desribe.

Kevin Barre
03-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks Kevin. Do you think simply reattaching the clip will restore the functionality of the mechanism. In other words, is it likely to keep reoccurring?
So long as both ends of the mechanism are properly engaged after you put it back in you won't have a problem. They are designed to remove and reinstall easily.

Eric Shuman
03-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I find this issue to be somewhat common. This happens on at least one window on about every 10th new house I inspect (usually on end of first year warranty inspections). The popping noise is indeed loud and in addition to startling me even though I know it might occur, it often sends the homeowner running to see what I destroyed. :D

As it was said above, they can usually be re-attached fairly easily. I do not personally reattach it but I write it up as a repair and move on.

Eric