PDA

View Full Version : Propane tank location

wayne soper
04-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Anyone know of the measurement needed from a propane tank to a road. I would say this one is too close but a # would be good to know. BOOM! Thats the road edge right in front of the tank. 250 year old home right on the corner of kaboom rd and skyrocket ln.

Jerry Peck
04-20-2007, 09:34 PM
It's got to be 'within' the property lines, but other than that ... protecting it from vehicle damage would be ... er ... should be ... a *no brainer*, but I see someone had a lapse and created an 'Oops.' situation.

Good catch.

wayne soper
04-21-2007, 03:30 AM
Thanks Jerry, When they put the house there they were only thinking of how to get from the horse to the house without touching the ground I guess.

BARRY ADAIR
04-22-2007, 05:14 AM
This what your looking for?

Bob Harper
04-22-2007, 06:37 AM
NFPA 58, section 3.2.4.2-- "LP Gas containers or systems of which they are a part shall be protected from damage from vehicles."

Also, ASME containers must be at least 10 ft. from the property line except if >500 gal. w.c., they must be 25 ft. Buried ASME tanks Min. 10 ft. from lot lines.

No setbacks listed for DOT cylinders. However, you still must meet the clearance to windows etc. A tank at the roadside would have a 0 clearance to a source of ignition (cigarette), and thus not allowed. Also, the place where filled must not put the operator in danger. What about the ground? Is it sloped to shed gas or allow collection? That retaining wall will tend to hold gas against the base of the tank, which is a no-no. The base of the tank must be sloped or not have anything that would tend to allow gas to accumulate such as bushes, raised beds, etc. This LP company was nuts to install a tank here.

For your reports, I recommend you look in the tank and determine whether DOT cylinder or ASME container and the water capacity, which are needed to determine such clearances.