PDA

View Full Version : Flooring Roof Trusses

Michael Thomas
03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Can someone direct me to a site which discusses the reasons why you should not floor the lower chord of (for example) existing roof trusses in a garage, nor hang heavy objects from them, unless they were engineered for this load? *I* understand the reason, but I could not GOOGLE up a site where I could send homeowners and contractors. - Thanks

Jerry Peck
03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
It would all be in the truss engineering package.

Some trusses are designed to receive an attic floor and be used for storage, they just need to be designed for that.

Try this, though.

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)

- R802.10.4 Alterations to trusses. Truss members shall not be cut, notched, drilled, spliced or otherwise altered in any way without the approval of a registered design professional. Alterations resulting in the addition of load (e.g., HVAC equipment, water heater) that exceeds the design load for the truss shall not be permitted without verification that the truss is capable of supporting such additional loading.

Michael Thomas
03-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks.

Alas, at existing construction the truss documentation is often missing.

I'm still looking for a link that explains the general issue.

Michael Thomas
03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
"But they sell it at Home Depot", part XIVIXI:

Infinite Attic The Infinite Attic Storage System--Creates 192 square feet of storage (78 Saddles) - SK 5EXP at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100490195&categoryID=502155)

Jeff Beck
03-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi Michael,
If there is a Menard's close to you, stop at the Contractor's Desk and ask them if they have a Midwest Manufacturing book. Midwest Manufacturing is Menard's truss company.

A while ago I needed to explain to an attorney why he couldn't store personal belongings on the top of the bottom chord of the roof trusses in his attic. (The trusses were not storage trusses.)

This is something close to having an in-depth conversation with my chocolate labrador retriever. No, I think that would actually be easier.

The guys at the Contractor's desk made a copy of part of the MM book that explains tension and compression on roof trusses. I'll never really know if the attorney understood it, but it did bring his griping to an end.;)

I looked around my office but I can't find it now. If I locate it I'll send it to you.

Jeff Beck
Foresight Home Inspection LLC
847-529-5103

Michael Thomas
03-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Jeff,

http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/Images/Trusses/Literature/TrussTraining.pdf

GREAT resource, thanks!