PDA

View Full Version : Propane Tanks

Tim Moreira
04-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Just out of courisoity, are propane tanks for residential use owned, rented, leased from the gas company.

On a new home with gas appliances. How is this typically set up. Do you have to buy the tank from them outright or is it rented/leased. Or do they sent the tank for a setup fee and then just recover the costs from the refilling of the tank?

Bob Harper
04-20-2007, 10:40 PM
It varies from company to company. Some make customers buy the tank and regulators while others lease them out. All is negotiable. Initial setup fees, deposits, etc. Alot based upon anticipated fuel consumption. The tank is the excuse to sell fuel. If you are supplying say a gas fireplace only, they'll probably hit you for deposits and fees. However, if you convert everything in the house to LP and get a 1000 gal. tank, they'll probably waive some fees.

I recommend you record the last hydrostat date on the tank and water capacity (w.c.), which is usually expressed in pounds of water it will hold. Don't get me started on that BS. Regulators wear out and should be replaced at least every 15 yrs. However, there is no requirement to mark the install date or mfg. date on them. If a tank and regs are original past 15 yrs, I recommend it all be replaced: tank, pigtail, and regulators. The pigtail is the high pressure hose from the tank to the first stage regulator. Also, copper lines should be replaced by this time with coated copper, which is marked "fuel gas line" or similar.

Every LP supplier I know requires the appliance be set first before they come out. There must be a gas line stubbed out to the outdoors. They will set the tank, purge it, fill, attach new pigtail and first stage regulator, route the copper line to the house, mount the second stage regulator and shutoff, pressure test to there and leak check, then if ok, connect to house, bleed air and light all pilots doing a leak check in the home. There is a Gas Check program most suppliers are now following that spells all this out and has a checklist form.

HTH

Tim Moreira
04-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Bob,

Thank you very much for the info :)