PDA

View Full Version : Attic Access

Jim Robinson
03-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I was going through my inspection yesterday. The garage had a small loft area above it. This little door was at the end wall. Great, I won't need to get my step ladder off the truck to get into the attic. Open the door, and "surprise".

It turns out that the owners had added the door as Plan B in case there was a fire. I don't know what they planned on doing if the fire started in the garage.

wayne soper
03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
That door would have to be fire rated as it is an entry to the home from the garage.
Also a methane gas detector would be a good idea. HAHA

Jerry Peck
03-07-2008, 07:51 PM
That door would have to be fire rated as it is an entry to the home from the garage.

Nope. Does not have to be a fire rated door.

Anyone know why? (We've been over it before.) ;)

Matt Fellman
03-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Nope. Does not have to be a fire rated door.

Anyone know why? (We've been over it before.) ;)

Of course, becaue you could wrap you face with wet TP and get out if there were a fire.......

Okay, seriously, I'd say it's because it's interior space to interior space. As long as the garage has the proper firewall it's not required from attic to living space.

Honestly, if I'm right it's not by much..... enlighten me :)

David Banks
03-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Jerry. Is this what you are refering to?

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/exterior-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/579-pull-down-stairs-garage-fire-rated.html

Rick Hurst
03-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Take out the term "fire rated" and use "separation". The doors are not "fire rated".

rick

Jerry Peck
03-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Take out the term "fire rated" and use "separation". The doors are not "fire rated".

rick

Neither is the wall. (Except maybe still in CA?)