PDA

View Full Version : Pool Plaster

Rick Hurst
03-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Curious if any of you that have a pool that has what is known as Pebbletec plaster on your personal pool?

Any recommendations for another type of plaster than the common white plaster.

rick

Dom D'Agostino
03-07-2008, 03:32 PM
I have a family member in town with Pebbletec, they love it. It looks as good today as it did 12 years ago.

I have looked at it as a replacement for my aging Quartz finish. Pebbletec seems to hold up better than the exposed aggregates, and plaster is just not an option any longer; it doesn't hold up over time.

Dom.

Jerry Peck
03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I saw a lot of Pebbletec finishes on the pools at the houses I used to inspect, but I don't know how it holds up.

Dom has a good opinion of it though.

Rick Hurst
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
We're trying to decide between Pebbletec and a new product by a company called WetEdge Technology which both appear to be reputable.

Our pool plaster is only 2 years old but the plaster is not holding up. It is white plaster which now everyone has told me at the pool inspection classes that I've been too is probably the worse way to go as it stains and wears easily.

My pool builder told me that it was a water chemistry problem but he was latter upset when he found out that his pool service persons had been taking care of the pool from day one till now.

He has agreed to pay out about 5K to have it resurfaced to anyone I choose to make us satisfied. Thought that was fair.

rick

Gunnar Alquist
03-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Rick

Not sure if it is the same (or similar) product, but all of the pools that I saw when my family and I went to Australia (down under, not Alpine) had a rough, pebbly surface that was very similar, if not the same as Pebbletec. The folks that I spoke with said it lasted very well, but the problem that I had was that it removed skin like a belt sander. The bottom of my feet, my elbows, knees and hips were rubbed raw.

Looked good though.

Rolland Pruner
03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
This is a very good product so far, in pools I have inspected.

Rolland Pruner

Rick Hurst
03-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Rolland

Are you talking about the Pebbletec or the WetEdge applications.

rick

Bill Rice
03-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Pebble-Tec is a very popular pool surface in Florida mainly because it comes with a life-time warranty. It is more durable than the next best option (Diamond-Brite), but it's also twice as expensive. Pebble-Tec also comes in a variety of color mixes that will compliment any type or scheme of water line tile and spa backsplashes.

Pebble-Tec is not harsh on the feet as it is a relatively fine aggregate. Pebble-Sheen is even more fine, but once again, more expensive.

I'm familiar with this surface as I have a brick paver and pool renovation business along with the home inspection gig. The paver and renovation business is great, but the inspection business is very slow, at least here in my area of Orlando.

Bill Rice

Rick Hurst
03-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Well today I learned what a gas powered pump and a jack hammer could do to a pool in a couple hours.

rick

BARRY ADAIR
03-14-2008, 06:22 AM
As I stated previously (http://www.inspectionnews.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000075.html) nothing but pebble for our family from now on unless they come up with something better.

The only drawback is for the life of the pebble finish pebble displacement will occur and will require cleaning of the cleaner filter bag or entrapment component. No bigger deal than other leaf/debris removal from these systems.

What a bummer that the plaster failed in such a short time. :mad: But I'm sure you'll really enjoy the new finish and it will be like getting a pool for the first time, "Deja vu, again" :D

Jim Luttrall
03-14-2008, 08:43 AM
So Rick, what time is the pool re-grand opening party? You do have a pool heater, right?:D

Rick Hurst
03-14-2008, 06:56 PM
No pool heater but I had lunch at Pancho's. :D

Jim Luttrall
03-14-2008, 07:04 PM
TMI:(

Gary Burnett
03-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Rick,
My pool guy says the only problem with the finish is that it will stain from oils and lotions and you get a ring around the pool that doesn't wash off like it will on tile. Other than that he likes it. Make sure your swimmers wash off before getting in the pool........yeah, right!

Mitchell Toelle
11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Rick,

Inspect the PebbleTech finishes all the time and have only seen problems with them when chemicals have been left at imbalance over longer periods of time...similar to the premature wear you get from plaster surfaces, and even given PT's modified bases. Also have seen problems where application (mixing) was not proper and uneven coloration occurrs or where pebbles break free over long term.

As far as feel...the PebbleTech product does not appear to wear skin the same as a conventional plaster surface that has 2-3 years or more on it. Those conventionals can get pretty abrasive after awhile.

Just looked at the other manufacturer (WetEdge I think you called it) and their appearance is similar, although there claims to longevity impied sound different from one product to another. I guess you're going to have to do a search regarding feedback from actual users on WetEdge. Always look at the warrantees perspective suppliers and applicators are offering. That's my advice. Good luck.

Rick Hurst
11-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Mitch,

Your been doing some reading of some older posts aren't you?

We had the pool replastered back in 04.2008 and went with the WetEdge product which we have been very pleased with. This last summer was kind of a bummer though as we had more rain than usual and I didn't get to use the pool as I would have like to.

Of course all the neighbors enjoyed it very much.:D

Nothing like sitting upstairs in your office typing reports and hearing everyone in the pool having a good time.:rolleyes:

rick

Marc M
11-27-2009, 02:52 PM
I am (was) a GC and a pool contractor in AZ when I lived there and also CA. Pebbletech is a brand name and comes in 3 finishes. Pebble Fina, Pebble sheen and pebble tech. Sheen is smoother than tech and fina is smoother than sheen, like plaster. Our remodels were almost 100% pebbletech.
3M has their own version that is pretty nice.
Just know that the bottom is kinda rough. My advice is to try it first. Some of our clients didnt like it because it was hard on the feet etc... so they were likely to use fina or sheen. Also bathing suits would get pretty worn out as well.

john_opwin
04-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I would be happy to suggest you to take sky color plaster.

Rick Hurst
04-12-2010, 08:48 AM
John,

Your about (2) years to late on this thread. Pool finish has been great with no problems.

Exception: Neighbors won't go home in the summer.

rick

Bob Knauff
04-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Rick, I heard the rougher surface is harder to clean particularly along a scum line should that happen. Any opinions now that you have experienced Pebble-Tec for a while?

Rick Hurst
04-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Bob,

Have had no problems with any scum as you mentioned other than some pesky neighbors inviting themselves over for a swim.

rick