PDA

View Full Version : Please move menu

Richard Stanley
03-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Brian, Would you please move the menu back to the right side. A lot of the text now extends off the screen to the right side which is PIA, at least to me. Thanks.

Jim Zborowski
03-08-2008, 09:07 AM
I usually grab the left side and drag it over to make the window larger. Then you don't have to scroll back and forth.

Gunnar Alquist
03-08-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't have that problem. Operator error? ;)

John Arnold
03-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I have that problem, too, on some threads, such as the "gas flue dead end" thread. My browser is maxed out filling the screen but I have to scroll to left to see the posts.

Jim Luttrall
03-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I have the same issue on the older desk top but the laptop with it"s wider screen does not. Not a big deal, especially considering Brian provides this site for us for free.

Richard Rushing
03-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Go to
"View"
"Text Size"
Choose--> "Medium"

should help

Nolan Kienitz
03-09-2008, 09:01 AM
... Choose--> "Medium"
should help

Rich,

So ... your reading glasses are helping so that you can stay at "medium" .. :D

Richard Stanley
03-09-2008, 10:21 AM
It was fine until he moved that menu to the left side.

Jerry Peck
03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Brian, Would you please move the menu back to the right side. A lot of the text now extends off the screen to the right side which is PIA, at least to me. Thanks.

Using my wife's computer tonight and it is doing that ... not all the time and not on all threads, but on some threads.

This computer is several years older than my computer and it may be something to do with the software, even with upgrades.

Brandon Chew
03-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Ya'll just need to get yourselves a 24" widescreen monitor. Then just stretch your browser as wide as it needs to be. Problem solved! :)

Nolan Kienitz
03-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Using my wife's computer tonight and it is doing that ... not all the time and not on all threads, but on some threads.
This computer is several years older than my computer and it may be something to do with the software, even with upgrades.

I'm using a 19" flat panel and on some threads the "thread display" does extend 'past the screen' ... but then I keep a bookmark/favorites column open on the left in my browser so that also contributes to the lack of screen space.

Oft-times it can be related to the video driver and/or its capabilities and current versions. I had one that was just simply 'limited' due to age and it wasn't that old. Web development for pages and viewing is difficult and I've found (from working on my website) that it can't be all things to all people's machines. ;)

Brian Hannigan
03-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Richard,

Are you running a screen resolution of 800x600?

The site is designed to run in a minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 on your standard square monitor. I don't believe there are any monitors still alive that have a native resolution on the old 800x600.

If you are running your monitor in 800x600 on a flat panel monitor (or CRT) to compensate for size (insert your own joke here) you are probably also suffering from eye strain do to the distorted/fuzzy quality of your screen.
Image:Native-resolution 800x600 on 1024x768.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Native-resolution_800x600_on_1024x768.JPG)

To increase your size and still run in your monitors native resolution try the following.

1) (for windows) Right click on your desktop and select "Properties". Click on "Appearance" and increase your font size.

2) (for windows) Right click on your desktop and select "Properties". Click on "Settings", "Advanced" and increase your "DPI" setting.

Depending on your graphics card the steps may be a little different.

Let me know if that works for you.

On pages that sometimes run off the screen when the rest of the site is OK then you will find there is a long link URL or graphic that can not be wrapped and is pushing it off the screen.

Lee Nettnin
03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Brian,
I am presently running 1024 X 768 on a 19" crt monitor and I also have this problem - sometimes. This thread seems ok but others are not. I did reduce my text size on Firefox and that helps, but I don't think Firefox holds the setting, because the next day I was back to the scrolling issue.
Thanks

Rick Hurst
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM

Brian Hannigan
03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Brian,
I am presently running 1024 X 768 on a 19" crt monitor and I also have this problem - sometimes. This thread seems ok but others are not. I did reduce my text size on Firefox and that helps, but I don't think Firefox holds the setting, because the next day I was back to the scrolling issue.
Thanks

Hi Lee,

Send me a link to one of the threads that run wide so I can check it out.