PDA

View Full Version : MA Standards of Practice

David Banks
03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
MA just revised the Standards of Practice. This must now be embedded in the report. Some good things some not. Last page is prohibitions. Can no longer operate sump pump or humidifiers. Not required to inspect detached garages. I like 6.01 Access. "The client shall provide safe access and sufficient lighting to ensure that all systems and areas to be inspected under this standard are readily Accessible and Observable"
Yea Right!

Rules and Regulations Governing Home Inspectors - Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocasubtopic&L=6&L0=Home&L1=Licensee&L2=Division+of+Professional+Licensure+Boards&L3=Board+of+Registration+of+Home+Inspectors&L4=Statutes+and+Regulations&L5=Rules+and+Regulations+Governing+Home+Inspectors&sid=Eoca)

John Arnold
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
"The client shall provide safe access and sufficient lighting to ensure that all systems and areas to be inspected under this standard are readily Accessible and Observable"

The client?!

David Banks
03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Yea. That was in the old standards also. I guess there suppose to go over there the day before and knock on the door and string some lights etc :)

Randy Aldering
04-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Not allowed to operate sump pumps???

David Banks
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Not allowed to operate sump pumps???

Yea. None of us can figure out that one.

Randy Aldering
04-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Figure it this way: if the sump pump doesn't work, there may be a problem with basement flooding. Suppose the sump pump is tested, and it doesn't work. Then the buyer hires a home inspector who is not a real estate agent apologist. The home inspector reports the problem with the sump pump, and it becomes a negotiation issue. The pump supposedly gets fixed, but the only person who really knows is the real estate agent who acted as dual-agent in this transaction. Now suppose the real estate agent never really arranged to have the sump pump fixed. There is flooding in the basement, and a lawsuit ensues. Now, would it be better if the sump pump were never tested? Better yet, could an attorney make a case against a home inspector who did not test a sump pump?

Erby Crofutt
05-01-2008, 06:14 AM
I can see it not being required, but prohibited!

Ah well, minimalists are out there.

Scott Patterson
05-01-2008, 06:43 AM
I can see it not being required, but prohibited!

Ah well, minimalists are out there.

Uhummm, and this is from a person who is in a state that can not tell their client that an FPE panel is a POS and needs to be replaced! :D