PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on location of gas appliances

Kevin Luce
03-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Laundry room with a gas dryer where a toilet and sink is installed. There is a door leading into toilet and sink area but also a door leading to the hallway from laundry room. The house was built in the 70's but don't know when the lower level/laundry room/bathroom was built. Does this fall under IRC G2406.2?

I think is does by the way it is written in the IRC.

While on the subject, I have asked many people that work for the local gas company (since these are the people that will not turn the gas on if they see a water heater or furnace in a bathroom) on why you cannot have a water heater in a toilet room as long as you have sufficient combustion air for proper operation. Does anyone have an answer? The only thing the people I have talked say is "it's a code".:confused:

I experienced this a while back with the local gas company. Water heater in a closet with high/low return registers leading into hallway. Only a toilet was in the room with no exhaust fan. I paid out $450 for some guy to build a wall and installed a proper door to separate the two areas so the buyer can get his gas turned on (January). "it's a code" says the gas man.

Jim Robinson
03-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I wonder that as well. I assume that it is generally a smaller, enclosed space that my teenage step daughter used to spend well over an hour at a time in, and they are worried about CO building up inside the area. Maybe someone else has a better reason.

Jerry Peck
03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Laundry room with a gas dryer where a toilet and sink is installed. There is a door leading into toilet and sink area but also a door leading to the hallway from laundry room. The house was built in the 70's but don't know when the lower level/laundry room/bathroom was built. Does this fall under IRC G2406.2?

The "bathroom" is beyond "the bathroom door", thus, the "bathroom" is not part of the "laundry room".

No, it is outside of the scope of G2406.2.

While on the subject, I have asked many people that work for the local gas company (since these are the people that will not turn the gas on if they see a water heater or furnace in a bathroom) on why you cannot have a water heater in a toilet room as long as you have sufficient combustion air for proper operation. Does anyone have an answer? The only thing the people I have talked say is "it's a code".:confused:

I believe (don't "know", but "I believe") it is due to the fact that a bathroom is typically a small room and the combustion would suck the oxygen out of the room in short order. Or something to that effect/for that reason.

Jerry McCarthy
03-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Jerry P is correct as so explained in IRC Code Commentary 2006 - Volume 2; G2406 (page 24-24)

Jerry Peck
03-17-2008, 08:40 AM
as so explained in IRC Code Commentary 2006 - Volume 2; G2406 (page 24-24)

That's probably where I read it, only in the 2003 commentary (but it also only makes sense). :)

Kevin Luce
03-17-2008, 09:46 AM
G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited Locatins. Appliances shall not be located in, or obtain combustion air from, any of the following rooms or spaces:

1. Sleeping rooms.
2. Bathrooms.
3. Toilet rooms
4. Storage closets.

I was thinking indirectly the appliances "obtain combustion air from" the bathroom if the door leading to the hallway from the laundry room was closed.

So do you think this other application would be acceptable in figure 1 in the attachment? Again, I would think this would require a weather-stripped door installed.

Jerry Peck

I believe (don't "know", but "I believe") it is due to the fact that a bathroom is typically a small room and the combustion would suck the oxygen out of the room in short order. Or something to that effect/for that reason.

Regarding to this answer. I would think as long as the space would met the IRC M1702.1, M1702.2 or M1702.3.

Now thinking about this more, could it be that instead of sucking the oxygen out of the room, that the room is small enough that if there was a poor draft for whatever reason, the person spending an X amount of time in that toilet room could be harmed?:eek:

Jerry Peck
03-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Now thinking about this more, could it be that instead of sucking the oxygen out of the room, that the room is small enough that if there was a poor draft for whatever reason, the person spending an X amount of time in that toilet room could be harmed?:eek:

"the person spending an X amount of time in that toilet room could be harmed?"

Yeah, sure, it's kinda difficult to survive without oxygen to breathe. :D

You second drawing on your pdf is not even a bathroom. Hope your client is not paying for a "bathroom".

Kevin Luce
03-17-2008, 12:31 PM
"the person spending an X amount of time in that toilet room could be harmed?"

Yeah, sure, it's kinda difficult to survive without oxygen to breathe. :D

You second drawing on your pdf is not even a bathroom. Hope your client is not paying for a "bathroom".

The second drawing is of a toilet room. I paid for part of the correction about 5 years ago. The guy from the gas company stood his ground and would not turn the gas on until correction was made per code. Wouldn't or couldn't give me a scenario that could cause harm to occupants or prevent proper operation of water heater.

Jerry Peck
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
The second drawing is of a toilet room.

It is not a "toilet room" either.

"Toilet rooms" are not allowed to have those appliances in them either, regardless that that is not a "toilet room".