PDA

View Full Version : What is Happening in Kansas?

Randy Aldering
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
What is happening with licensing in Kansas?

Scott Patterson
03-17-2008, 04:01 PM
What is happening with licensing in Kansas?

I have not heard of anything but over in MO they have some action and will most likely have a license law this year.

Harvey Hempelstern
03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I have not heard of anything but over in MO they have some action and will most likely have a license law this year.

LOL.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong with your annual "Missouri will be licensed this year" predictions?

Deleted Account
03-18-2008, 08:11 PM
LOL.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong with your annual "Missouri will be licensed this year" predictions?

I got an idea, why not license contractors first and then adopt some building codes before attacking home inspectors?

Craig Lester
03-19-2008, 06:24 AM
HB 2315 is in the senate. HI's will be liable for $10,000 after 1yr.

Scott Patterson
03-19-2008, 07:29 AM
LOL.

Nah, simply because I know it agitates you James!

I seem to recall I predicted Florida legislation would pass, and it did. Granted it is a stinker of a license law, but the inspectors who would not help in crafting a good piece of legislation and only wanted to fight for not law at all, got what they deserved. The same will happen in MO, will it be this year? Who, knows but it sure looks like it stands a good chance.

Raymond Wand
03-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Thats interesting, is that the max cap of liability? Are you required to have E&O with that legislated liability cap?

Cheers,

Lewis Capaul
03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I got an idea, why not license contractors first and then adopt some building codes before attacking home inspectors?

Hey Joe, wasn't it about this time last year when you and Harvey were the Great Defeat of Licensing there in Florida? Maybe you should be more cautious this year concerning Missouri.

What does the licensing status of contractors or the adoption of building codes have to do with what a Home Inspector does? If it's wrong it's wrong, it doesn't matter who built the home or whether it was built to code or not. If the Inspector finds something wrong, not up to "present building standards" then it would be up to the seller, builder, plumber, electrician, etc. to show where the Inspector was wrong in his findings, "that's the way we do things here" doesn't fly too far when the fault can be shown to be in violation of minimum requirements of the various codes and national building practices. We inspect, mainly, for a buyer all we can do is point out and justify our findings, they make the decision if they want to accept the "that's how we do things here" standard.

It shouldn't be the government who establishes the standards or codes involving home construction, it should be the lender. Other than electrical and sewage disposal, because of fire danger and pollution, the "State" should have little to say about how a home is constructed. A home built to Code could get a certificate from a qualified ICC or other Code Inspector that would help when the home was sold, a home not built to code would leave many questions in the minds, or should, of any potential buyer.

Raymond Wand
03-19-2008, 02:04 PM
The Capitol Report: Georgia House Passes Bill to License Home Inspectors

By District 7 Representative David Ralston
Published Mar 18, 2008

The Capitol Report: Georgia House Passes Bill to License Home Inspectors (Dawson Times) (http://www.dawsontimes.com/news30534/the-capitol-report-georgia-house-passes-bill-to-li.shtml)

Jerry McCarthy
03-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Toto, I think we are better off in Kansas than in Georgia !

Deleted Account
03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Hey Joe, wasn't it about this time last year when you and Harvey were the Great Defeat of Licensing there in Florida? Maybe you should be more cautious this year concerning Missouri.

There still ain't no friggin' licensing here in Florida pal, the effective date was pushed out to 2010 and may never be funded. So for you to win this debate you better get down here and raise some money for your cause. Oh yeah I forgot you never put your money where your mouth is.

Jerry Peck
03-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Oh yeah I forgot you never put your money where your mouth is.

Joey,

Now that YOU brought that up (I'd forgotten all about it) have you ever paid ... who was it ... Rob? ... the $20,000 or whatever amount it was you owe him? :confused:

Like Diamond Tony, sometimes you just stick your foot right in there yourself. :D

Deleted Account
03-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Joey,

Now that YOU brought that up (I'd forgotten all about it) have you ever paid ... who was it ... Rob? ... the $20,000 or whatever amount it was you owe him? :confused:

I'm sure if you check you will find old Rob back to flippin' burgers and living in a van down by the river (that is if he ever really existed at all). But if he is truly alive, I'll bet he sure could use those 20G's right now, maybe you should consider a loan to him from your excess and all? For me, I would burn it all before giving that Welcher a friggin' dime. :D

On the other hand I would still go heads-up playing him in a friendly game of poker anytime. ;)

Harvey Hempelstern
03-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Nah, simply because I know it agitates you James!

I seem to recall I predicted Florida legislation would pass, and it did. Granted it is a stinker of a license law, but the inspectors who would not help in crafting a good piece of legislation and only wanted to fight for not law at all, got what they deserved. The same will happen in MO, will it be this year? Who, knows but it sure looks like it stands a good chance.

According to the vice chairman of the committee presently sitting on the imbecilic attempt to license inspectors in Missouri, the bill will remain where it is. It was fun watching the three ASHI presidents who showed up to support the bill sulk as they left the hearing room. Ask them what they think the chances are of seeing a Missouri licensing law this year. LOL

Raymond Wand
03-21-2008, 04:47 AM
James Bushart said:

Not any more than your repetitive tired theme song; Licensing solves nothing! :eek:

Randy Aldering
03-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, one thing is very clear: Kansas has licensing legislation introduced. A few other observations: the subject of licensing home inspectors brings out very strong feelings in most home inspectors; many home inspectors flat out resist all licensing attempts; governments like to license, and like to follow the Joneses, and there aren't any states that have licensed home inspectors in the past who have thrown out licensing.

So, the states that do have licensing are increasing in number. Several other countries regulate it nationally. Licensing is an interesting subject. I have never had any success getting trout to jump into my creel. Legislators are an interesting lot. One county commission in Michigan is spending tax dollars to conduct a study on how to "sell" the idea of a new jail to the tax payers. They are refusing to hear the "NO" message that the voters keep sending them. Ring a bell? And the study? Well, it will not surprise me if the result is that the voters will go for the new jail if 1) they can see a clear benefit, and 2) they feel it is affordable.

Perhaps the states that do not have licensing have an opportunity? Perhaps, if the licensing law were strong enough, enforceable, and protected both the client and the inspector, perhaps it might be good enough? May be. May be not. Any law that creates any avenue for a party to the transaction to skirt their responsibility and hang it on the home inspector is shallow. The Kansas bill does not look good enough, in my view. Hopefully, Kansas home inspectors will show the legislature where the short-comings are, and propose changes that would make it good enough. A few thoughts - for what it's worth.

Dan Bowers
07-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Kansas or Missouri:

Same type of dog and pony show. Different players - different Bills - Same BS

Its always amazing to me to see the guys that stand up to the Bar and tell everyone "I have seen no reason to license US, And I'm not in favor of this"

Then immediately turn around drop their skirts, lay face down on the table and hand the realestators a tube of K-Y Jelly and a box of condoms AND say "Well if you feel its inevitable, we'd like to help make it better for youse"

Gutless Wonders.

If they want to get branded, they could at least be butch enough to say so.

imported_John Smith
07-18-2008, 05:36 PM
State licensing is a good thing. Oh wait, I meant its a good thing for state licensing agencies. Or is it a good thing for builders and contractors that do shoddy work.

Im all confused.

Ted Menelly
07-18-2008, 06:35 PM

10,000.00 liability.

Shoot there is not an insurance company in the world that would endorse a policy if the state put a 10,000.00 liability on home inspectors. What do you think they ask if you have a signed contract for every inspection. With 10,000.00 liability you might as well throw away the contracts. They don't mean crap anyway if you are actually negligent.

10,000.00, you will not have a home inspector in the state