PDA

View Full Version : Certified Pool Inspector ?

Rick Hurst
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Is anyone on the board an actual "Certified Pool Inspector"?

I've been working on getting mine. I finally got the CPO (Certified Pool Operator) part of the licensing process and now approved to take the exam.

There is some new regulations regarding pools coming out in 2008 which is going to have many new safety items. I haven't had the opportunity to review it all as of yet, but if you are inspecting pools you should attempt to find out about it.

(Example) I did read that chain line fence around a property with a pool will not be approved.

Jerry Peck
04-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Rick,

Are referring to something like this?

It's in the Florida Building Code and is part of the requirements for pool barriers, it's been this way for a few years. (underlining is mine)
- - The barrier must be placed around the perimeter of the pool and must be separate from any fence, wall, or other enclosure surrounding the yard unless the fence, wall, or other enclosure or portion thereof is situated on the perimeter of the pool, is being used as part of the barrier, and meets the barrier requirements of this section.

Now ... (drum roll) ... define what "is situated *ON* the perimeter of the pool" means. :D

Rick Hurst
04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Jerry,

I got a copy of the new regulations that are going in effect at this pool class. I have not read them fully as of yet, but the instructor said NO chain link fences would be allowed to surround a yard with a pool.

He did not say "pool barrier".

This was to go into effect early 1998 and would be new regulations on new construction from that point on.

I will pull it out of my folder latter and see if I can post a site from it that has the new regulations present on it.

Jerry Peck
04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
"the instructor said NO chain link fences would be allowed to surround a yard with a pool.

He did not say "pool barrier".
"

That makes no sense unless the chain link fence is 'part of' the pool barrier.

Probably because, even though chain link fences must meet certain requirements to be used as part of a pool barrier, children can still climb them by putting their feet in the openings. It would be about time to eliminate them from serving as part of a pool barrier.

"This was to go into effect early 1998 ... "

Say when?

"I will pull it out of my folder latter and see if I can post a site from it that has the new regulations present on it."

Thanks,

Rick Hurst
04-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Sorry about that. Have had a rough day.

Rick Hurst
04-23-2007, 04:48 PM
80(R) HB 1869 - Introduced version - Bill Text (http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01869I.HTM)

BARRY ADAIR
04-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Rick,

What school are you going through to get these certs?
And why wasn't I invited? Not :cool: enough?

Jerry Peck
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Rick,

Thanks for the link.

A chain link fence is still allowed around a yard with a pool.

A chain link fence just cannot be used for, or as part of, the (their term, it's awkward) "pool yard enclosure".

That means you could have a large yard, fenced in with a chain link fence, and a smaller area around the pool with a pool barrier ("pool yard enclosure") encircling that smaller area.

dick whitfield
04-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I have wired about 35 pools in the last two years so I guess I am pool certified in that respect. In my area they just passed the fence requirement. I don't think there is a pool inspector certification in my area....could be wrong as always.

Rick Hurst
04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Jerry,

If that is so, it will still require a fence to surround the pool itself right if a chain link fence is present around the main yard?

This instructor was pretty insistent that no chain link fences would be allowed at all. I took that to mean around the entire yard. Maybe thats not the case.

How about the pool cover statement and the windows statement?

__________________________________________________ ______________

Dick,

Wiring a pool would not be part of the certification I'm talking about. This certification is issued by the National Swimming Pool Foundation.
NSPF®_HomePage (http://www.nspf.org)

__________________________________________________ _______________

Barry,

It was taught over at the Champions School in Coppell. Not sure of how often they are going to be doing it.

dick whitfield
04-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the link....

Jerry Peck
04-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Jerry,

If that is so, it will still require a fence to surround the pool itself right if a chain link fence is present around the main yard?

This instructor was pretty insistent that no chain link fences would be allowed at all. I took that to mean around the entire yard. Maybe thats not the case.

How about the pool cover statement and the windows statement?

Rick,

(bold and underlining are mine)
- (3) "Pool yard" means an area that contains a pool.

That does not mean the entire yard, just "an area" "that contains a pool".

- "(4) "Pool yard enclosure" or "enclosure" means a fence, wall, or combination of fences, walls, or gates that completely surround a pool. A pool yard enclosure may enclose the pool deck, landscaped areas, and other areas beyond the pool."

... "may" enclose landscaped areas and areas beyond the pool, but does not have to.

That means that if you "completely surround a pool" with a "pool yard enclosure", there "may" be other yard areas outside that enclosure, and those other yard areas may include any type of non-conforming fence, or not be fenced at all.

- e) A pool yard enclosure may not contain:
- - (1) chain link fencing materials if the enclosure is built on or after January 1, 2008; or

You need to go back and verify, by definition (see above) what a "pool yard enclosure" is, and with that information, you will see that a chain link fence may not be part of a "pool yard enclosure" on or after 1/1/2008.

In Florida, our "swimming pool and spa barrier" requirements has been stricter than that for many years.

Our pool barrier requirements for doors AND windows are similar to those for doors - meaning the alarm part.

Our height is 54" instead of 60".

There are a lot of similarities in there to ours, but there are also a lot of difference too.

The Florida requirements pretty closely follow the CPSC Safety Barrier Guidelines for Home Pools (attached).