PDA

View Full Version : Flow guard CPVC

David Banks
04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Anyone heard anything good/bad/indifferent about this supply pipe.
Found this on 1997 colonial. Very rare around here to see anything but copper. Flow guard Gold CPVC. Says good for 100 PSI and I believe it said 160 degrees.
Thanks

Scott Patterson
04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Just normal CPVC. With the price of copper you will be seeing more CPVC and PEX.

imported_John Smith
04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
I just inspected a new home in Katy Texas with Flow Guard brand CPVC piping. Not a cheap home neither, about 260K

Jerry Peck
04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
(C)PVC can not be used for hot/cold water supply, just TPR drain line.

Say what?

CPVC CAN BE USED for all water distribution piping, hot, cold, T&P relief valve discharge line, etc.

PVC may only be used for the water service outside the house or DWV piping.

william siegel
04-23-2007, 07:14 PM
I just inspected a new home in Katy Texas with Flow Guard brand CPVC piping. Not a cheap home neither, about 260K

You cant buy a home here for 260K, except maybe a 1950 1000 square foot home with no upgrades.

Jim Luttrall
04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
We just have more build able land here. A $260K house here will only use $20k to 30k for land cost. Also our labor is cheaper. So a new 260k house here is typically going to be a 2300 sq ft two story house, 3 or 4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths, and two car garage in a new neighborhood. I'll bet your land price is at least $120k for a starter home like you described.

David Banks
04-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks All. Land price is the difference. Lots here are 200-300 thousand.
Just a little out of hand.

Rick Bunzel
04-24-2007, 07:07 AM
I did a remodel of my own home with CPVC. Great stuff - easy to work with, forgiving if things don't exactly align, and difficult to get a bad joint. Most of my runs were in an attic with cellulose insulation and I didn't want to risk a fire sweating copper up there, so plastic became the material of choice. Didn't require any expensive tool like PEX does. At the time I was living in earthquake country and the added bonus was that CPVC was pretty resistant to movement.

//Rick

Jerry Peck
04-24-2007, 07:15 AM
We just have more build able land here. A $260K house here will only use $20k to 30k for land cost. Also our labor is cheaper. So a new 260k house here is typically going to be a 2300 sq ft two story house, 3 or 4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths, and two car garage in a new neighborhood. I'll bet your land price is at least $120k for a starter home like you described.

Double your guess.

When we first moved to South Florida in 1987, the first house we had was an attached Townhouse (Patio Home really, it was one floor, but Townhouse is the better known term). We had an end unit which overlooked the wider lawn space between Phase I and Phase II where our girls and their friends used to play. Kind of like having a nice size side yard - it was probably about 50 feet wide.

We paid $65k for that house. We sold it 7 years later for around $80k (prices had not gone up much at that time as there was still a lot of buildable land in South Florida). Our unit was the largest unit at 1,360 sf and had a 1 car garage. The land it was on was probably 35 feet wide (the width of the unit) by maybe 65 feet deep (guessing here).

Now, however, there is little buildable land left down there.

We had friends from South Florida up visiting just this past weekend (they used to own the unit next to us, they sold it and moved to a condo - yecch! - but they like the condo), they asked us what we thought those houses went for today.

My guess was $150k, knowing that the market is down a bit.

They said a friend of theirs just sold their unit (it was a smaller unit than we had and was not an end unit either) for $250k.

Those are now considered 'starter homes'.

Yes, the land cost is way up there.