PDA

View Full Version : no back fill

wes owens
03-26-2008, 02:13 PM
How often have you inspected a crawlspace and found that the entire foundation wall around the house was not back filled after construction was completed?

What did you write in your report about it?

I also found several soft spots in the ground where tree stumps were left in place and have decayed leaving small voids.
Didn't find any termites though.

Rick Hurst
03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Wes,

Are we talking about the inside of the foundation beam wall?

If so, many of them are not backfilled as this can put stress on the wall causing cracks.

As far as the tree stumps, those should have been removed.

rick

wes owens
03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
The inside of the skirt wall where the termite guy would normaly trench.

It's unusual to find them not back filled around my area, not saying thats the best way, just the norm.

The picture is from another house but shows the area I'm talking about.
The perimeter around the brick wall from the crawlspace.

Rick Hurst
03-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Is it possible that a termite treatment was done, and they just didn't backfill against it.

If so that would violate any termiticide label as you have to back fill over the trenched area.

Wes, we just don't ever see any pier and beam foundations that are backfilled as your mentioning. Some we can see the complete bottom of the footing on some due to the soil settling.

I personally would think if the outside of the foundation beam wall has an accepted slope where drainage can occur, it probably wouldn't make comment of it on my report.

If I'm understanding what you mean, that is. :D

rick

Ron Bibler
03-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Treatment for sub-termites with Demon TC.
No need a trench or cover over with dirt. Open soil application. Interion and Exterior foundation. Good stuff. I have used it for some 12 years.

Best

Ron