PDA

View Full Version : My Brother

Rick Hurst
03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
My brother Marty (47) who is also a Home Inspector is in serious condition at a hospital here in Dallas.

He has contracted what is known as MRSA.
MRSA infection - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735/DSECTION=1)

He has been in ICU for a couple weeks now, and is turning for the worse.

Seem this MRSA has gotten into his liver and kidneys and they are losing the battle on fighting this infection. A doctor told my Dad that he could last possibly a couple of more weeks with this. Not for sure.

I've been doing my research on this and realize that this infection can be picked up quite easily especially through a cut or scrape. As inspectors we are constantly coming in contact with things in people's home and probably don't think about the things out there like this.

His family request any prayers. He has (2) teenage daughters.

I'll keep you informed.

Rick

Scott Patterson
03-26-2008, 03:23 PM
My brother Marty (47) who is also a Home Inspector is in serious condition at a hospital here in Dallas.

He has contracted what is known as MRSA.
MRSA infection - MayoClinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrsa/DS00735/DSECTION=1)

He has been in ICU for a couple weeks now, and is turning for the worse.

Seem this MRSA has gotten into his liver and kidneys and they are losing the battle on fighting this infection. A doctor told my Dad that he could last possibly a couple of more weeks with this. Not for sure.

I've been doing my research on this and realize that this infection can be picked up quite easily especially through a cut or scrape. As inspectors we are constantly coming in contact with things in people's home and probably don't think about the things out there like this.

His family request any prayers. He has (2) teenage daughters.

I'll keep you informed.

Rick

Rick, sorry to hear about your brother.

MRSA is bad stuff. My wife's best friend contracted MRSA (antibiotic resistant staff infection) this past summer. She contracted it from her gym, most likely from a gym mat she was sitting on. It was not good for her as well. She was four months pregnant and the MRSA made her miscarry and they lost their baby. It started out on her as a little pimple like sore on her thigh.

Our prayers are with him, and the entire family.

Rick Hurst
03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks Scott.

My brother had the same thing as you mentioned about the sore on the thigh. It just would not clear up.

rick

David Banks
03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
That is terrible news Rick. Hope the Antibiotics kick in and a miracle will happen. Wish your whole family the best.

Michael Larson
03-26-2008, 03:45 PM
That's a tough one Rick.

My prayers are for your brother and his family as they go trough this trial.

Ben Garrison
03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Rick - terribly sorry to hear about your brother. Keep us posted on that and good luck.

I have never even heard of MRSA before. And recently I've noticed a few red bumps on my arms and legs. At first glance, these appear to be spider bites but what do I know? I do go the gym daily so perhaps I have a greater chance of exposure. I might go have this checked out. Just to be safe.

Ron Bibler
03-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey Rick. On my knees in prayer for your brother.

A Prayer for Victory
20The Lord hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend [1] (http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=Psalm+20&ver=kjv#f1) thee; 2 Send thee help [2] (http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=Psalm+20&ver=kjv#f2) from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion; 3 Remember all thy offerings, and accept [3] (http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=Psalm+20&ver=kjv#f3) thy burnt sacrifice; Selah. 4 Grant thee according to thine own heart, and fulfil all thy counsel. 5 We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the Lord fulfil all thy petitions.
6 Now know I that the Lord saveth his anointed; he will hear him from his holy [4] (http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=Psalm+20&ver=kjv#f4) heaven with the saving strength of his right hand. 7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God. 8 They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright. 9 Save, Lord: let the king hear us when we call.
Psalm 20

Ron bibler
Black Sheep Harley Davidsons for Christ.

Jerry McCarthy
03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Rick
I will say a prayer for your brother and I know what he is going through as I got that dam infection when I was a builder about 25 years ago, but luckily after about 10 + days of IVs in a hospital I survived. Yep, little cut on the arm and bingo, a staph infection. The doc has become a very good friend. Again, sorry to hear the bad news and all I can say is hang in there as it could begin to reverse itself overnight.

John Arnold
03-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Rick - I am really sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he pulls through.
I'm pretty cavalier about touching stuff on home inspections, but when I'm at the gym I use the hand sanitizer liberally.

Nick Ostrowski
03-26-2008, 05:10 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with your and your family Rick. Come back with good news soon.

Brian Hannigan
03-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Rick,

Count me in with the rest of the people saying prayers for your brother.

Very sorry to hear about that but don't ever give up.

Keep the faith!

Darren Miller
03-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Rick

Thougths and prayers are with you, your brother and your families.

Keep your chin up; god bless

Rick Vernon
03-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Our prayers will include your family. Hang in there.

Jim Luttrall
03-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Ditto Rick, let me know if I can help in any way.

James Duffin
03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
My dad is fighting prostate cancer so I will add your brother to my prayers.

Matt Fellman
03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this. You're in my prayers...

It's amazing how quickly something can put everything in perspective. We all take so much for granted each day. Really, at the end of the day, the only things that matter are the ones closest to us.

-Keep us posted

mathew stouffer
03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Rick,
Sorry about the news. My thoughts and best wishes go out to you and your brothers family.

Michael Thomas
03-27-2008, 03:38 AM
Rick,

My thoughts are with you and you family.

And, thanks for the post - it's a reminder to me to wear long-sleeve shirts at inspections even in the summer, and to be generally watchful of abrasions and cuts.

Matthew Barnicle
03-27-2008, 06:35 AM
Rick,

Sorry to hear about your brother. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers and pull for his recovery. Thanks for educating me on this also. It's a good reminder to be careful.

Mitchell Meeks
03-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Rick, my prayers are with you and your family as well. Please keep us informed.

Joe Griffin
03-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Rick, wish the best for you. Brothers and sisters are sometimes taken for granted, they can add so much to your own life over time. I wish I was closer to some of my own siblings, time passes so fast. I stay close with some, some choose to be aloof. Families are like that.
Times like this can make you closer, but also can test you. Hang in there.

Jim Zborowski
03-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Rick, Very sorry to hear about your brother. Hope they are able to tturn things arround for him. In the meantime, our prayers are with your brother and your family.

Rick Souter
03-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Rick,

The best of regards to you and yours at a tough, turbulent time Rick.

Prayer or whatever one wishes to call it is positive energy, which can do wonders as I believe most of us know.

I'm new here and don't know you yet. Nonetheless we are a fellowship, a fraternity, that your brother Marty is also part of.

Perhaps knowing that support is being directed in your family's direction (as evidenced by the posts here) it will in some way positively impact what your brother and your family are going through.

Again, best regards,
Rick Souter

Daniel Stone
03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Rick,
Don't give up praying, and don't give up faith that a miracle could happen.
The good Lord really is watching, I believe I've witnesses his touch.
Good luck to your brother and tell him to fight like heck with positive thoughts!
Dan

Richard Rushing
03-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey, Rick. Could you do me a big favor and send me his hospital information. I'd realy appreciate it.

My brother is irreplacable (I've never told him that-- manly thing and all), but I'd bet ole Marty is equally as important.

God Bless him and I hope the hell he kicks this thing in the butt.
This kinda thing is especially rough on the family (his). I certainly hope they are pretty strong for him.

If you would shoot me an email I'd like to rent him a stripper and take her by the hospital...

Rich

Rick Hurst
03-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments.

I told him today that all the board members were thinking of him.

Don't know if he heard me as he is just sleeping and out of it. The poor guy has had so many test done on him the last few days.

His wife and girls are having a hard time dealing with this. What keeps them going is knowing their dad is a great Christian and is not scared to meet his maker.

I'm scared for him though. He has always been my mentor in the HI business. I've called him so many times with questions over something I've come across and he has always took the time to answer all my questions.

Several have emailed me regarding wanting to send him a card.
His address is:
Marty Hurst
2444 Edwards Church Rd
Mesquite, TX 75181-2504

From our family to all of you, we thank you for all the prayers.

Rick Hurst

Nolan Kienitz
03-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Rick,

My wife and I have Marty and all of you as family members in our prayers.

If there is anything that I can do please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jerry Peck
03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Also wishing your brother the best.

Robert Runchey
03-28-2008, 05:38 AM
I've not heard of this but you can bet that I'll be more aware of where I go and what I touch.

Rick,
I too, will add your brother to my prayers. I wish your family the best of luck.

Lee Nettnin
03-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Thanks everyone for all the comments.

What keeps them going is knowing their dad is a great Christian and is not scared to meet his maker.

Rick Hurst
Rick,
It's times like this that I am glad to hear a statement like this.

It seems the older I get the longer my prayer list gets, your family and his are on the top of my list.
Lee

Brandon Chew
03-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Rick,

Your brother and his and your families are in my thoughts and prayers.

Brandon

Steve Reilly
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your brother, but don't give up hope. I contacted mrsa in the hospital after my heart attach. They really bombard you with antibiotics that kill everything else in your body.and leave you very sick It is tough to beat but possible.
He is in my prayers.

I went from 240 lbs to 164 but beat it

My nieces brother in law got it went from 165 to 85 but beat it.

Keep praying and support his family through this.

Steve Reilly

Jack Feldmann
03-30-2008, 06:49 AM
Don't know how I missed this post several days ago...
Rick,
Our thoughts and prayers go out to your brother and his extended family. I will also include him on the prayer list at church this morning. By tomorrow, there will be a team from our church including him in their prayers.

JF

Rick Cantrell
03-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Rick
You and your brother are in my prayers also.

William Brady
03-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Hello Rick,

All of us will be keeping in mind at paryer time.

Rick Hurst
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Yesterday (Sunday) made 3 weeks in ICU for him. Still not much response to any of the antibiotics.

More tests scheduled for tomm.

I'll keep you informed.

imported_John Smith
03-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Rick, I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. What you described is something I have never head of. Although I dont know your brother Im sure he is a fine man.

Your brother (any your entire family) are in our thoughts and prayers.

Ralph Stakely
04-01-2008, 11:42 AM
God bless you all and keep you in His hand.

Peace be with you.
Ralph Stakely

Vince Santos
04-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Rick,

I hope things have taken a turn for the better. Keep us posted here as to how your brother is doing.

Rick Hurst
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Well today they had to put Marty on a feeding tube.

Things are not looking good, but we keep the hope.

rick

Dee Smalley
04-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Thoughts and prayers from my wife and I. We included your brother in our prayer list at church and please know you have many good prayers doing it!!! We sure hope for that miracle.

Dee and Kay Smalley

Jim Luttrall
04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Dee, Rick updated us on another thread here that Marty has passed away and the funeral will be on Monday.
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/general-chit-chat-home-inspectors-commercial-inspectors/6830-marty-hurst-his-family-need-help.html

Rick Hurst
04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Dee,

Thats ok. This family will need those prayers for quite some time.

rick