PDA

View Full Version : Defying the Laws of Gravity........For Now

Nick Ostrowski
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
I looked at a neat little old resort home in Galen Hall Berks county today. Before I got started, the seller told me about some issues the fireplace had and that they are going to have the necessary corrections made. They received a quote of $1700.00 and only mentioned work to the fireplace itself.

When I get outside, the chimney is doing it's best to try and smash the roof. In addition to the excessive amount of lean on the structure, there were multiple damaged and separating areas of pointing, some of the most God-awful caulk repairs I have ever seen, and the poorly installed base flashing lifting up from the roof in the direction the chimney was leaning.

I went back inside and asked the seller if the quote they received involved chimney work as well. She said they were told by the fireplace outfit that quoted the repair cost that the chimney was OK but it could use some pointing.

Just don't stand in the room beneath the chimney.

John Arnold
03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
You know how they keep spray paint under lock and key in some hardware stores? Sometimes I think caulk should be treated the same.

Daniel Stone
03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
I truly thought you were just being funny when you stated gawd-awful caulking...until I saw the pictures. Yikes!
Something good can come out of this though....maybe if enough people see really bad work then the overall quality base will improve.....well...maybe!

Jerry Peck
03-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I went back inside and asked the seller if the quote they received involved chimney work as well. She said they were told by the fireplace outfit that quoted the repair cost that the chimney was OK but it could use some pointing.

Now that is "non-threatening" language if there ever was a non-threatening report.

"chimney was OK but it could use some pointing" That's got to be one of the biggest understatements we've had here in a long time. :)

Michael Larson
03-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Now that is "non-threatening" language if there ever was a non-threatening report.

"chimney was OK but it could use some pointing" That's got to be one of the biggest understatements we've had here in a long time. :)I would tell my client to get a second opinion from a real professional not a "handyman"

That's not "non threatening" language it's negligent.