PDA

View Full Version : How dod you write up masonry parge coatings?

Ross Neag
03-30-2008, 11:40 AM
In good repair but keeps us from investigating the joints, etc...

Scott Patterson
03-30-2008, 11:50 AM
In good repair but keeps us from investigating the joints, etc...

Well just report what you see. I might say something like this;

I can not see or tell about the condition of the foundation wall because it has a parge coating over it.

That is all that I would say if I did not think it had a problem. No need to say anything more.

Rick Hurst
03-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Parge coating on the foundation wall which is typically used to cover imperfections / or flaws in the finish obstructs complete view of the foundation beam wall.

David Banks
03-30-2008, 01:07 PM
MA Standards require we also must report on areas that have potential for concealed damage. I think this is good practice especially if you did not have access on interior.

Jerry Peck
03-30-2008, 02:39 PM
obstructs complete view of the foundation beam wall.

"complete view"??

If there were no parge coating, would you even have a "complete" view?

I doubt it.

Jerry Peck
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM
MA Standards require we also must report on areas that have potential for concealed damage.

"potential for concealed damage"

EVERYTHING covered with something else has the "potential for concealed damage".

David Banks
03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
"potential for concealed damage"

EVERYTHING covered with something else has the "potential for concealed damage".

Yea. My whole report says "potential for concealed damage" Just Kidding.

6.03:C3 Indicate the condition of systems and components so inspected including those that were found to be in need of repair. require additional investigation, and areas that have a potential for concealed damage.

I guess it is left up to interpretation but I use it in cases of sill rot, trim rot, finished basements, any interior moisture stains/ issues, etc. If I saw a foundation with parging I would also say potential/risk for concealed damage due to the fact parging of foundations around here is not that common unless someone is hiding something. :)
The powers to be want you to make it very clear to people that you could not see/inspect and there is a potential for concealed damage. Just not say it was covered and leave it at that.