PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Siding

Zibby Swieca
03-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Do I need to commend on the stains.
Thanks.

Jerry McCarthy
03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
It's pretty obvious Zibby, but now if any exterior wall is covered with vinyl wallpaper on the interior of the home I suspect there may be a real problem? Only destructive testing can confirm, but I’d put my client on notice.

Zibby Swieca
03-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes. Vinyl siding is over wood. And the wood is rotted.
What is the best reporting Language for this type of problem?

Dom D'Agostino
03-31-2008, 03:17 PM
How do you know the wood is damaged?

Zibby Swieca
03-31-2008, 03:25 PM
The wood is rotted at the siding base.
Looks like the siding needs to be power washed.

Dom D'Agostino
03-31-2008, 05:12 PM
The siding may need cleaning, but I wouldn't recommend power washing vinyl siding to a client. They can potentially force water up and behind the siding.

Markus Keller
04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
You guys really think it's coming from the inside out?
In the picture the staining looks green. I've seen this on vinyl when a tree(s) overhang the roof, leaves build up on roof, rot and the algae runs down during rains.

Scott Patterson
04-01-2008, 10:51 AM
That's just blasted algae growing on the side of the house. Spray with a commercial siding cleaner and then wash off with a garden hose. End of story.

Now if the substrate is rotting along the base, it sounds like the siding is not finished properly with a "J" channel along the bottom of the siding or it is too close to the ground.

Jerry Peck
04-01-2008, 11:50 AM
That's just blasted algae growing on the side of the house. Spray with a commercial siding cleaner and then wash off with a garden hose. End of story.

I was considering it "mildew", but, then, "mildew" and "algae" are basically the same, right? :)

Now if the substrate is rotting along the base, it sounds like the siding is not finished properly with a "J" channel along the bottom of the siding or it is too close to the ground.

Or, how about no WRB behind the vinyl siding? Water does get past vinyl siding and is supposed to have a way to drain out, maybe the water getting past it is not being allowed to drain out, thereby rotting out the unprotected wood behind it.

Is 'wood' considered a WRB? If so, then it may be allowed, but that may still be the cause.

Jim Zborowski
04-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Scott's right.....algae. Some TSP and a stiff brush and it'll be gone.