PDA

View Full Version : Carriage Bolts Are Overrated

Nick Ostrowski
04-03-2008, 03:31 AM
Why use a couple carriage bolts when you can just pound in 30 nails instead?

Darren Miller
04-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Nick;

Better yet, recommend this:

Prevent deck collapse, railing collapse and stair collapse with DeckLok Bracket System (http://www.deck-lok.com/)

Nick Ostrowski
04-03-2008, 04:09 AM
I don't know Darren. I really like the nails ;).

Rick Hurst
04-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Nick,

A realtor would say "The deck sparkles like diamonds in the sunshine." :D

rick

Gunnar Alquist
04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Well, investigation done by some structural engineers after the last couple of CA earthquakes has shown that nails do a better job of resisting seismic movement than bolts. This seems to be because bolts concentrate the force in a small space while the nails are spread over a larger area. Studies that I have seen of mudsills in homes that collapsed after an earthquake showed the mudsill ripped down the length along the line of holes for the anchor bolts. Larger washers (bearing plates) used on mudsills helps to distribute the stress over a larger area around the hole. Failure of hold-down hardware was also attributed to failure of the wood because it split along the bolt line. The hold-down hardware that is nailed often faired better. Of course, I realize the wood in Nick's pic is split and will probably split more.

Jerry Peck
04-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Come on guys ... they just got their nail gun and were practicing in that corner before they started nailing the rest of the deck. Sheesh ... you guys are soooo picky. :)

Brandon Whitmore
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, investigation done by some structural engineers after the last couple of CA earthquakes has shown that nails do a better job of resisting seismic movement than bolts. This seems to be because bolts concentrate the force in a small space while the nails are spread over a larger area. Studies that I have seen of mudsills in homes that collapsed after an earthquake showed the mudsill ripped down the length along the line of holes for the anchor bolts. Larger washers (bearing plates) used on mudsills helps to distribute the stress over a larger area around the hole. Failure of hold-down hardware was also attributed to failure of the wood because it split along the bolt line. The hold-down hardware that is nailed often faired better. Of course, I realize the wood in Nick's pic is split and will probably split more.

Bolts used in conjunction should work better then.

Gunnar Alquist
04-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Bolts used in conjunction should work better then.

Maybe, but if you look at the Simpson Strong-tie specifications on the hardware that has bolt holes as well as nail holes, the instructions indicate either, not both.