PDA

View Full Version : New To Me

wayne soper
04-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Any of you seen this before? 8 inch holes around the entire crawl space. Some have a hose connected that looks like it should connect to a small pump. Most are filled with foam stops but are in no way water tight. Look like they would let water in to me. Any Ideas? Ground was very wet outside and crawl was bone dry.

Tom Dietrich
04-06-2008, 02:56 PM
They might not have decided where, or how water and sewage would enter and exit the house. So they put sleeves in everywhere?

Just a wild a** guess. Not a mind reader. ;)

tom

John Arnold
04-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I know it can be annoying when someone comments on something else in your photos, but, since I have no idea what the sleeves are for -
it looks like there's no air gap on the sides of that beam.

Jim Luttrall
04-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Maybe this was their idea of crawl space ventilation.

Jim Robinson
04-06-2008, 04:58 PM
A way to let water into the sump pump area so it wouldn't collect all along the outside? Was there a sump pump in the crawl? Is it common for people to concrete the floor of the crawl space where you live? That would be nice, but I've never seen it here.

wayne soper
04-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes common to concrete the flor. No sump pit. Broker made comments about the super duper water proofing method.
I was thinking maybe a water tight drain system around the home that would drain water out but not let it in, but. That's a big BUT. Bigger than a brokers but for sure and that's BIGGGG.

Joe Klampfer
04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
very odd... looks like they're using the crawlspace as a sump. The crawlspace may never see any water (depending on soil and climate conditions) if the perimeter drains are in place and functioning correctly.

Brandon Chew
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
very odd... looks like they're using the crawlspace as a sump. The crawlspace may never see any water (depending on soil and climate conditions) if the perimeter drains are in place and functioning correctly.

That is my take on it as well.

Aaron Miller
04-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Wayne:

Just a very large catch basin for the sump pump. Around here they don't go to those extremes, unfortunately. We generally do not see concrete in a crawl except in the perimeter and interior beams. All else is soil and usually wet. If they install a sump pump they simply dig little trenches that lead to the pit (sometimes).

Looks like a good install to me.

Aaron

Joe Klampfer
04-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Wayne:

Looks like a good install to me.

Aaron

except for the intent... up here concrete skim-coat over a poly vapor barrier on the crawlspace floor is normal but those large drain pipes blowing through the foundation walls are not. We're quite damp up here (north of Seattle) and try to keep moisture out and away.

wayne soper
04-08-2008, 05:33 AM
This home is in a river front flood plain and I've inspected many but never with this system.

Jim Zborowski
04-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Was repairing a house following a severe tornado a few years ago. Turns out the house was in a 100 year flood plain. As mandated by FEMA, any structure within that area had to conform to their standards when repaired. This included no basement allowed, if there were an existing basement they wanted the mechanicals moved upstairs, floor drains sealed, and the basement filled with gravel, thereby rendering it non usable. Construction of the new detached garage required flood vents in the foundation at ground level thereby allowing flood waters to pass thru the structure. Maybe what you have is someones interperetation of that rule.