PDA

View Full Version : Roof transition

Dave Gilstrap
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Can anyone tell me what you think about this roof transition. This is an addition and the roof pitch is perfect in the front of the house and a little off in the rear. :confused:

Gunnar Alquist
04-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Should have been treated as a hip/valley, not the field of the roof.

Markus Keller
04-07-2008, 05:21 PM
You mean besides the fact the carpenter was a moron.
It looks like there is excess stress, tension, whatever you want to call it on the shingles at the transition. Some of the shingles already have humps, buckles. Good locations for driving rain to get in or critters.

wayne soper
04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Which side was added. I'm trying to figure out how they could have gotten it THAT wrong

Dave Gilstrap
04-07-2008, 07:11 PM
The left or higher side is the addition

Carl Eisen
04-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Poor planning or none at all. The foundation height was improper for the flooring system used. Did the floor transition smoothly to the new section?

Was the span the same between the sections? This would give us a different rise in the rafters.

Did you get a look at the heel heights of the rafters/trusses? They may have not been able to match the standing height of the original rafter.

In the end that transition is just plain wrong on so many levels. This looks to be a very unprofessional job and one wonders what is not visible. No shoulders under headers? who knows.

Jon Randolph
04-07-2008, 07:24 PM
There are many, many things wrong with that roof.

What is that wire/cable entering the shingles for?

Nick Ostrowski
04-08-2008, 03:20 AM
That installation is NG..............no good.

Brian Cooper
04-08-2008, 10:53 AM
You mean besides the fact the carpenter was a moron.
It looks like there is excess stress, tension, whatever you want to call it on the shingles at the transition. Some of the shingles already have humps, buckles. Good locations for driving rain to get in or critters.

My thoughts exactly. Those shingles are not long for this world.

Jerry Peck
04-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Actually, it could have been intentional.

The carpenter may have planned for the lower roof to terminate into a short 'gable side wall', with a rake and drip edge along the higher side edge.

The roofer, or homeowner, may have said 'Heck, I don't need to go to all of that trouble, I'll just run the shingles up and over it.'

Dave Gilstrap
04-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone, I had to finish my report and I used some of your replies. This is what I put in my report.

The transition between the roof of the addition and the main roof is unorthodox construction. The shingles are starting to hump and buckle which could be a way for driving rain or critters to get in. It should have been treated as a hip or valley and not as the field of the roof. Recommend further evaluation by a qualified proffessional.