PDA

View Full Version : Brick Mortar?

Rick Hurst
04-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Does anyone have a reference about why brick mortar should not be as such?

I told my client the brick mason needed to be in a good 12-step program. :D

The client told me that this was a 1800. upgrade. :eek:

rick

David Banks
04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Looks like amateur/homeowner work.

Jim Luttrall
04-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Yep, people actually pay extra for that:mad:
Looks like a Forrest Gump job to me.
Did you try the BIA manual?

Rick Hurst
04-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Its a Brand new 500K home.

Bob Harper
04-08-2008, 07:02 PM
It looks like they are trying to replicate old interior wythe walls such as you would see in an old city where they built a bar or restaurant in the shell of a building leaving the interior brick exposed. totally unsuitable for exterior application. Yes, BIA technical notes one of many sources. Ask them to explain how it is to keep out water without struck joints? BTW, are there weep holes? I didn't see any.
Bob

Jim Luttrall
04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Rick, I skimmed through the BIA web site and found nothing, might be somthing there, but not that I found.

Jerry Peck
04-09-2008, 05:26 AM
ACI 530.

All solid masonry units (brick is a masonry unit) are required to have full head and bed mortar.

All hollow masonry units are required to have head and bed mortar at least equal to the face shell thickness.

Hollow brick, of course, starts at the faces of the brick (outside face and inside face) and goes toward the center of the brick.

Regarding the non-tooled, non-struck off mortar, there is no requirement for that. Non-struck off mortar gives a look some desire (and the least weather resistant joint). Struck off mortar gives a different look, but still not a weather resistant joint. Tooled mortar gives the best weather resistant joint as the mortar is allowed to harden to "thumbprint hard" and is then tooled, i.e., compressed, into the joint.

The photo shows mortar joints which are not fully bedded, not even for the face shell thickness - and that's a no-no.

Nick Ostrowski
04-09-2008, 06:17 AM
"Unprofessional and improper installation of mortar between bricks on exterior walls - multiple unsealed joints and gaps noted which will allow water, insect, and rodent infiltration - have serviced by a professional stone mason and all repairs/replacements made as needed"

Markus Keller
04-09-2008, 06:40 AM
There are some very expensive homes around here like that. People do actually pay extra, it's amazing. However, they didn't execute the technique well enough to allow it to pass.

Steve Lowery
04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
The white smeary appearance puts me in mind of that "mortar repair" stuff
that comes in 14 oz. caulking tubes. Squeeze it out, strike it off w/a putty
knife and call it repointed.

Bill Gosch
11-14-2010, 08:18 AM
sounds like the contractor was a real good salesman, and the work was from a first time handyman, that is bad workmanship.