PDA

View Full Version : TPR Discharge pipe reduction

Greg Jenkins
04-15-2008, 06:27 PM
I came across this water tank today. When I looked at the tpr valve I snapped a picture and moved on just thinking it was incorrect. Now when I look at the picture, I don't see a reduction fitting at the top of the tank. I have never seen a 1/2 inch fitting (in the body of the tank) for a tpr valve. I see a reduction in pipe size after the valve quite often but I have never seen a reduction between the tank and the valve. Am I missing something?

Gunnar Alquist
04-15-2008, 07:25 PM
I would agree with Fritz. Could that be where the sacrificial anode rod goes?

Jerry Peck
04-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I would agree with Fritz. Could that be where the sacrificial anode rod goes?

That's what I'm thinking too, and that this particular water heater is like some I've side, side T&P *only*, no top opening for the T&P (most tanks with a side T&P opening have that as an "alternate" opening, with the preferred location being in the top of the tank, but, I've seen a couple of tanks in the past which *only had* the side opening for the T&P).

Of course, if that is for the anode rod, that tank is probably gone now any way. :(

Greg Jenkins
04-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Good call. I now know to look elsewhere on the tank for another fitting. You learn something everyday in this business.

Scott Patterson
04-16-2008, 06:07 AM
How old is that tank? I haven't seen that Harvest Gold color in ages!

Nick Ostrowski
04-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Interesting call on the color Scott. I was thinking Gulden's Mustard.

Jerry Peck
04-16-2008, 06:30 AM
How old is that tank? I haven't seen that Harvest Gold color in ages!

1960s to 1970s. :D

Back when you wanted your water heater to match the clothes washer and clothes dryer next to it ... until you replaced them with white appliances ... :)

Dom D'Agostino
04-16-2008, 07:07 AM
It looks like a modern 3/4 inch valve in an older tank with a 1/2 inch opening.

Michael Larson
04-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Temp probe may be too short to be effective as well. From the Watts site:

"Alternate" ONLY when the tappings are not provided:
Use standard or extra length extension thermostat which permits the end of the thermostat to extend into the top 6" of the tank.

http://www.watts.com/pro/images/body/support/watersafety_flowcontrol/install2.gif

For Heaters with Direct Top Tapping:
Always use an extension type thermostat T&P relief valve which permits the end of the thermostat to extend into the top 6" of the tank.

http://www.watts.com/pro/images/body/support/watersafety_flowcontrol/install1.gif