PDA

View Full Version : Any body who hasn't broken one?

Vern Heiler
04-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Raise your head..uh hand, if you havn't broken one of these unprotected light bulbs in an attic or crawlspace.

I see these all the time in old and new construction. What a great opportunity to be leaning against a furnace cabinet or kneeling in the damp dirt and get a scalp full of glass and 110 volts. (I guess the arcing will cauterize the wound!)

Is there a code violation here? If not, why not? Does anybody write these up?

Nick Ostrowski
04-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Yep. Guilty. I've also burned the back of my neck on them. They make a nice sizzling sound. #$%^&*

David Banks
04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
What a coincidence. Check 4 th post down.
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/general-chit-chat-home-inspectors-commercial-inspectors/7071-ouch.html

Jerry Peck
04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Never broke one, but I have leaned against them long enough to get burned (and that does not take too long, that's for sure). :(

Vern Heiler
04-16-2008, 04:42 PM
You can't have an unprotected bulb in a closet, but you can mount them in a 18" crawlspace... Ah, it's only an HI! Who cares?

Eric Barker
04-19-2008, 08:07 AM
I've broken a few. Day before yesterday I took the bulb out of the socket before I went in. Now you have me wondering if I put the bulb back in.

Matt Fellman
04-19-2008, 02:27 PM
I never turn them on, I use my flashlight instead. Doesn't keep you from breaking them but keeps you from getting burned or shocked. Besides, the homeowners get pissed when you leave them on.

I find the shadows in crawls and attics from these lights actually make it harder to look around. I constatnly have buyers and agents coming behind me and turning on lights in basements and garages. Just a good bright flashlight is all I really need.

Jack Feldmann
04-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Matt,
Just like on CSI? I always yell at the TV (yeah, I know) telling them to turn on the damn lights.

Yep, I have popped a few in attics and crawlspaces. I usually don't turn them on in crawlspaces, but always do in attics. Hmmmmm. Got me thinking now.
I wear a cap, so at least I don't get my bare skin cut up.
JF

Jerry Peck
04-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I never turn them on, I use my flashlight instead.

I find the shadows in crawls and attics from these lights actually make it harder to look around. I constatnly have buyers and agents coming behind me and turning on lights in basements and garages. Just a good bright flashlight is all I really need.

I usually don't turn them on in crawlspaces, but always do in attics. Hmmmmm. Got me thinking now.

I tried both, and ended up with the lights 'on'. Using a good bright flashing light, as stated above, more than cancels out any shadows and the light allowed me to know where I was going, and to 'want to' go places I might not have otherwise gone.

Lights on, bright flashlight.

Jim Luttrall
04-20-2008, 05:23 PM
I typically start with the lights out to check for light entrance from recessed lights, soffit vents, gaps in flashing, etc. then turn them on. I also take lots of pictures with flash and then examine them on the computer at home. I have found lots of stuff after brightening the image to search out the shadows, especially in places that I could not access. Reach in with the camera and take several shots while panning around.

James Duffin
04-20-2008, 08:23 PM
I have had more problems hooking a rear belt loop on a whirlpool tub spout when looking for the safety glass marking than a light bulb. If they are a bit loose when I get there they are real loose when I leave.. ooops!

Todd Stevens
04-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Luckily, I haven't ended up with hot, molten glass down the back of the shirt. I much prefer a rusty roofing nail through the scalp (routinely). :-) You?

Dave Hill
04-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Speaking of attic.... I hope all you guys & gals wear head protection against those air nails from the roof. I use a "bump cap" and it has saveed my dome on several occasions. Not a huge hard hat, but a re-inforced baseball type hat. I threw on a head light on the bump cap, to bright where ever I look. Can't imagine going in an attic w/o it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

BTW, knocking on wood - haven't broke a a bulb yet, but they do get warm!