PDA

View Full Version : BLUE SLIM ON FURNACE

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
hey all

a young lady just sent me this picture of what she describes as blue slim leaking on her furnace--i havent seen it first hand yet--but could that be freon leaking from ac line---what do you all think--she says its slimmy--sounds like refrigerate--BUT
THANKS
CHARLIE

Michael Larson
04-16-2008, 03:51 PM
hey all

a young lady just sent me this picture of what she describes as blue slim leaking on her furnace--i havent seen it first hand yet--but could that be freon leaking from ac line---what do you all think--she says its slimmy--sounds like refrigerate--BUT
THANKS
CHARLIELooks to me like copper sulfate formed from condensation on the refrigeration line.

Matthew Barnicle
04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Yep, condensation on copper line causes it to turn green, some of it drips down the side of the cabinet. I typically take off the cover to look for corrosion or problems on the furnace components, then make a judgement call as to if I write it up or not. In this case, I probably would, condensate line has no cap or visible trap. Insulation on the line set run all the way to the cabinet and seal cabinet penetrations might help relieve condensation.