PDA

View Full Version : Is this proper

Eric Smith
04-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I saw this at an inspection yesterday and wrote it up as a concern that the small tank may not be propely supported and asked that at the initial service evaluation that the licensed plumber evaluate the install to ensure that it is adequate to support the tank. Anyone know off hand if this install is proper?

Thank you.

K Robertson
04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
No, I don't believe it is properly supported. I hope others agree with us, because I would call that out too. Sorry, don't have the supporting info to prove a point, but that's a lot of weight to be supported by the pipes.

What is that in the middle of the tank? Flue? Never seen one like that before down here.

Eric Smith
04-26-2007, 01:18 PM
yes that was the Flue. In looking at the pvc flue pipe I assumed it was a high efficiency Water Heater and thusly has some special flue assemby. I have never seen one before either. Built in 1998 and I am embarrased to say I missed getting the MFG's name.

wayne soper
04-26-2007, 01:24 PM
eric, it needs support to the joist overhead with a copper strap. That install is not good.

Jerry Peck
04-26-2007, 02:19 PM
As it is, it needs a support, but it also needs to face up, you don't want a head pressure of water to be against the thermal expansion tank all the time.

If that were installed directly off the top of the tee, and the supply had gone into the side of the tee, that would be fine.

Even if the supply went horizontal, if well supported, that could be straight up off a tee into the horizontal cold supply line.

But that one? That one is just trying to break the tee off, and it's only a matter of time before it succeeds.

The vent is a fan assisted vent. I've seen a few, but not many.

Michael Thomas
04-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Jerry, take a look here:

http://www.flexconind.com/pdf/wh-whv_install.pdf

Eric Smith
04-26-2007, 06:43 PM
So Michael, if I understand your post, you are demonstrating that the expansion tank should be installed vertically and at least 18" from the cold water inlet. Both of which this install complies with, however, this install does not provide adequate support for the tank. According to the install instructions the tank should have been spliced into the horizontal line going to the water heater so that it would be supported on both sides.

Are you in congruence that the install is incorrect/insufficiently supported as shown in my picture?

Thanks for the .pdf

Jerry Peck
04-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Michael,

"3. This tank is designed to be supported by the system piping (WH) in the vertical

position (up or down),"

Okey dokey, it says up or down.

But, as Eric pointed out, it does not show the tank being supported teed off like that.

Among other things, the IRC says
- P2605.1 General. Piping shall be supported in accordance with the following:
- - 1. Piping shall be supported to ensure alignment and prevent sagging, and allow movement associated with the expansion and contraction of the piping system.

Eric Smith
04-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Gentlemen, not sure if this is appropriate, but I have placed what I think is an interesting post in the Sub-Structure thread but havent had any replies to it. If anyone is interested I would very much like to have an opinion on it. Thanks.

Richard Rushing
04-26-2007, 10:32 PM
As been previously stated and re-stated... that expansion tank needs support.

Rich