PDA

View Full Version : Inspection Yard Signs

Randy King
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey everybody I hope your inspection schedules are full! I have a question for all for all of the inspectors: have any of you ever tried creating yard signs similar to what real estate agents use and placing them next to the realtors sign after an inspection has been performed or better yet created a partnership with a realtor to place a brochure box of your own with their information at a house for sale sign. I was just curious my brain is always thinking of new ideas and I dont know if this has been tested previously and if so with any success. You would think if you placed a sign such as: inspected by and a phone number people driving by may remember your name later when an agent offers 10 different inspectors, or better yet if someone is driving by looking at houses and grabs a flyer about a house with a for sale sign and also grabs a brochure of your's that is at the same sign this may help build name recognition. I dont know just rambling now...let me know what you folks think!

Scott Patterson
04-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey everybody I hope your inspection schedules are full! I have a question for all for all of the inspectors: have any of you ever tried creating yard signs similar to what real estate agents use and placing them next to the realtors sign after an inspection has been performed or better yet created a partnership with a realtor to place a brochure box of your own with their information at a house for sale sign. I was just curious my brain is always thinking of new ideas and I dont know if this has been tested previously and if so with any success. You would think if you placed a sign such as: inspected by and a phone number people driving by may remember your name later when an agent offers 10 different inspectors, or better yet if someone is driving by looking at houses and grabs a flyer about a house with a for sale sign and also grabs a brochure of your's that is at the same sign this may help build name recognition. I dont know just rambling now...let me know what you folks think!

Hey, it is a form of advertising. I would not ask the Realtor, the homeowner would be the one to ask. I would stay away from any type of sign riders that you would place on the agents yard sign. It could infer that you are working for that agent and not for the client who is buying the home, JMHO.

It takes time, patience and more time and more patience to build up a good inspection practice and name recognition. If you can make it into your 3rd year, you should be able to see a drastic increase in your referral base. 5 years is the "keystone", after you hit that point you know that you have made it.

Lewis Capaul
04-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Whether or not the home owner would allow you to place a sign in his yard might depend on whether or not he liked your report, but it's not a bad idea especially if there are several homes for sale in the neighborhood.

Richard Moore
04-24-2008, 11:08 AM
As you probably just caused the existing homeowner a few headaches and/or many dollars it actually seems kind of "ballsy" to then ask if they mind you advertising on their property for the next few weeks while they still own the home (or longer if you killed the deal).

I could see it being effective in new sub-divisions, but I would imagine the builder would pull up your sign as soon as you left.

So...good thought, but I'm not sure about the practicality.

John Arnold
04-24-2008, 12:26 PM
...have any of you ever tried creating yard signs similar to what real estate agents use and placing them next to the realtors sign after an inspection has been performed...

Something tells me Aaron has an opinion about this. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

wayne soper
04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
It should probably read
This home sale has been blown by so and so's inspection company 3 times in 2 months. Thanks alot

Jack Feldmann
04-25-2008, 01:48 PM
I actually saw one(a sign outside) in my area a few years ago. The inspector had done a listing inspection and proudly displayed it in the house. He also said he was an ASHI member and displayed the logo.

Couple problems:
1. He wasn't an ASHI member.
2. He didn't identify a few things that I felt were important for my client..
if I remember right...
a. FPE panel that had a bunch of problems
b. a disconnect for a heat pump that had scorch marks on the outside and melted stuff on the inside
c. some structural stuff with the foundation walls
d. plumbing that had classic copper/galvanized connections with the related blisters, bubbles and rust on them, and leaks too if I remember.

Oh I forgot one other thing, he was also a Realtor in the same office as the listing agent.

I really don't see the benefit of putting out signs.
JF

John Arnold
04-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Dang.

Aaron, why aren't you responding to my bait?

Previously he (Aaron) said ( I think he was being serious) that anyone who put a sign on their work vehicle was, and I quote, a "whore". So, naturally, I thought he might have some choice words regarding yard signage.

Guess I was wrong.

Bruce Ramsey
10-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I have a few yard signs similar to realtor signs.

I plant one in the yard during the inspection. Anyone passing by then knows why a stranger is wondering around in the yard looking in the windows, playing with the utilities, HAVC, etc.

It has my company name, logo, tag line, phone number and web address.

When doing warranty inspections I occasionally ask the owner if they will allow me to leave the sign in their yard for a couple of weeks. I tell them if they tire of the sign in the front yard, to simply lean it up against the back corner of the house and call me to pick it up.

After about six months, have not had any direct calls or leads as a result. I was performing a warranty inspection with the sign in the yard. I was in the street taking pics of the house when someone pulled up and asked for a card. We chatted and he is do for a warranty within a couple months. Will see if he calls. The neighbor backed out of the driveway, saw the sign and asked for a card while taking his kids to school. No calls yet but at least a few more buisness cards floating around.

mike huntzinger
10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
I have some luck with the sign on the truck and using a cone placed at the corner of the truck when doing warrenty inspections

Jerry Peck
10-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Bruce,

In many areas, those signs would be illegal.

Both by the city and by the neighborhood association.

Based on another thread, in electrical, discussing doing something illegal on a public forum is not a good thing (according to some). Don't know why myself, though, you asked a question and here is one answer.