PDA

View Full Version : A "how bad is it" question. Water Heater valve

Gene South
04-26-2008, 05:35 AM
Guys, I did not find a thread on this, so here is my question. Take a look at these photos of the water heater supply valve. What is causing this and can you make an assessment as to a "how bad is it" question.

I usually write these up to be evaluated by a licensed plumber.

Thanks

Gene

Lee Nettnin
04-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Gene,
Two things going on here.
1. There is a leak at the stem, tighten the nut directly under the red handle usually will fix the problem
2. It also appears to be leaking at the valve body, tighten the second nut under the red handle, or the gasket may need replacing.
Lee

Jim Robinson
04-26-2008, 06:04 AM
I think Lee's right. It happens to me sometimes when you need to shut the water off. When you turn it back on it leaks at the stem. Sometimes it fixes itself after a few days, other times it doesn't. It's usually pretty easy to fix, just a little time consuming.

David Banks
04-26-2008, 06:07 AM
Guys, I did not find a thread on this, so here is my question. Take a look at these photos of the water heater supply valve. What is causing this and can you make an assessment as to a "how bad is it" question.

I usually write these up to be evaluated by a licensed plumber.

Thanks

Gene

I agree with Lee but you have already evaluated it. Should be a repair item.

Jon Randolph
04-26-2008, 06:09 AM
1. There is a leak at the stem, tighten the nut directly under the red handle usually will fix the problem
2. It also appears to be leaking at the valve body, tighten the second nut under the red handle, or the gasket may need replacing.
Lee

3. It appears that the valve body itself has had past pin hole leaks that have sealed themselves up. This will not get better, only worse. No amount of seal tightening or replacement will fix the valve. More leaks will soon follow. The valve needs replaced. Look at the pictures again.

Gene South
04-27-2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks guys for all your input.

Gene

Rick Hurst
04-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Gene,

Its obvious that it is leaking. I always report it as a replacement item. Dont' get into telling the client "how" to repair it.

rick