PDA

View Full Version : Gap above fascia

Thomas Hudson
04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
I inspected a house yesterday (1920's, total rehab two years ago) and there was a 1" gap above the fascia and below the roof decking. This gap allowed open access to the attic area. There was a ridge vent with no soffit vents. Could this have been an intentional design to provide ventilation? My rec is simply to install screen to keep pests out of the space. The other problem I have with the design is there is nowhere to install a drip edge and there are several areas where water is running behind the gutter. Thanks for any insight.

Gunnar Alquist
04-26-2008, 01:13 PM
I inspected a house yesterday (1920's, total rehab two years ago) and there was a 1" gap above the fascia and below the roof decking. This gap allowed open access to the attic area. There was a ridge vent with no soffit vents. Could this have been an intentional design to provide ventilation? My rec is simply to install screen to keep pests out of the space. The other problem I have with the design is there is nowhere to install a drip edge and there are several areas where water is running behind the gutter. Thanks for any insight.

I would just describe what I found and recommend it be corrected by a roofing contractor.