PDA

View Full Version : tub with steps

John Arnold
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Does this need a hand rail?

Jerry Peck
05-01-2008, 04:36 PM
No, but it will be a lot harder to get out of than it was to get into.

John Arnold
05-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Agreed. Thanks, Jerry.

Rick Hurst
05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
I'd probably trip and kill myself after seeing myself in those mirrors.

The horror of it all!

rick

Jerry McCarthy
05-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Hope those mirrors are tempered and is that a whirlpool tub?

The human body once past 40 years is not a pretty sight. (some sooner)

John Arnold
05-01-2008, 07:05 PM

I thought mirrors, if they had solid backing behind them, were exempted from the tempered requirement.

Jerry Peck
05-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I thought mirrors, if they had solid backing behind them, were exempted from the tempered requirement.

You are correct.

Richard Moore
05-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I'd probably trip and kill myself after seeing myself in those mirrors.

The horror of it all!

rick
Rick, there you go again, being overly self critical.

I think that anyone getting into that tub, and suddenly seeing you in the mirror, would probably kill themselves.

Rick Hurst
05-01-2008, 09:20 PM
No doubt about that!

Click on picture for action.

Aaron Miller
05-02-2008, 03:28 AM
No doubt about that!

Click on picture for action.

Rick:

Where do you dig some of this stuff up?????

Aaron:o

Michael Thomas
05-02-2008, 04:44 AM

Is this also an exception to R308.4 ("Hazardous locations. 2. Glazing in fixed and sliding panels of sliding door assemblies and panels in sliding and bifold closet door assemblies...") ?

Jerry Peck
05-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Is this also an exception to R308.4 ("Hazardous locations. 2. Glazing in fixed and sliding panels of sliding door assemblies and panels in sliding and bifold closet door assemblies...") ?

Michael,

If you are referring to the mirrors in the photo, they are not an exception to that section, that section is just not applicable.

If you are asking about 'fixed and sliding panels', no exceptions such as that.

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)

- R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of glazing:
- - Exception: The following products, materials and uses are exempt from the above hazardous locations:
- - - 8. Mirrors and other glass panels mounted or hung on a surface that provides a continuous backing support.

Scott Patterson
05-02-2008, 06:16 AM

That is what I keep telling my wife when we see all of those cute young women with "Tramp Stamp" butterflies. My prediction is that when they hit around 50 or so those cute little butterflies will morph into Lunar Moths!

Michael Thomas
05-02-2008, 06:39 AM
thanks

Jerry Peck
05-02-2008, 07:15 AM
That is what I keep telling my wife when we see all of those cute young women with "Tramp Stamp" butterflies. My prediction is that when they hit around 50 or so those cute little butterflies will morph into Lunar Moths!

Only one thing worse than seeing a bunch of tattooed old men ... tattooed old ladies ... yecch!

And Daytona Beach is full of tattooed old men pretending to be bikers, and tattooed old ladies pretending to be biker babes ... yecch ... puke!

Rick Hurst
05-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Tattoo's and getting a Harley seems the thing to do here when you hit about 50 seems like.

I don't have any ink, but I would like to have a bike someday. My wife says as long as she's living I won't have one. She calls them Murdercycles.

Guess it wouldn't be appropriate to ride one to the cemetary would it? :D

Just a kidding you know.

rick

Richard Moore
05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I sold my last motor bike when the damn helmet laws came out here. It was a cruiser style (not a Harley unfortunately) and I would only put maybe 1,000 miles a year on it. Just hated the idea of a head-bucket on the few hot days I would use it. I reserve the right to kill myself!

My wife joined Heck's Angels about 4 years ago. Bought her a 50cc scooter for her trip to work. It's only about 5 miles, all surface streets, and it allows her to park cheap and close at the UW. She had never ridden one before and it took almost a month before she finally got up the courage to deal with traffic, but she now rides it rain or shine (not snow or ice).

The second photo (a crazed neighbor during a block scooter try-out) shows the sign I made up for her and she rode around with for the first few months.

I still want that Harley, but really can't justify it.

Jerry McCarthy
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Richard, that's cool!

Rick Hurst
05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Richard,

Please tell me that is a rug on his head. :D

rick

Richard Moore
05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Richard,

Please tell me that is a rug on his head. :D

rick
It's a backwards baseball cap. Our block is a Rug-Free zone!

Randy Clayton
05-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I agree with all of you but I semm to rember that that some were the code changed that any steps above 3 required a hand rail;now that was front and back enterys bathtubs i do not know?

Jerry Peck
05-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree with all of you but I semm to rember that that some were the code changed that any steps above 3 required a hand rail;now that was front and back enterys bathtubs i do not know?

Randy,

How many steps (risers) do you see there?