PDA

View Full Version : Weep Screed on Stucco/EIFS

mathew stouffer
05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
On an inspection today I noticed the lack of a weep screed along the bottom of the EIFS, although I am not 100% sure it was EFIS. My question is, does this area require a screed. The way it was finished was strange. The fiberglass lath was simply folded around the bottom of the foam. Any thoughts.

Mat

Michael Greenwalt
05-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Ok, the pic didn't make me want to jump right in but your description may be enough. If there is a mesh, wrapped around the bottom then this may well be EIFS system. They normally back-wrap this mesh at the openings such as windows, doors, etc., along with a backer rod and a good 20 year caulk (ok, yea right like that ever happens) . At the bottom there should be a weep-screed installed to allow the drainage plane to perform correctly. I cannot tell how the insulation board is secured to the substrate from the pic but without the weep-screed the drainage plane may not perform correctly. It sounds like they simply back wrapped at the bottom and let it be, actually more common than you think, but installed incorrectly.
I would however, highly recommend that you arm yourself with a bu** load of information prior to ever attempting to inspect an EIFS system as these tend to get expensive in a hurry if you fail to properly inspect. (Remember the Ed McMahon home). If you cannot identify an EIFS installation that should be your first indicator to back off and get some training. IMHO.

Best of luck
Michael

Steven Turetsky
05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Almost all terminations should be backwrapped... and seldom are. The only termination that does not have to be backwrapped is if it is protected with starter track.

If it is a Water Managed system there should be a drainable starter track (you are calling it weep screed)

If the system in your picture is a Barrier system... and it is, than there is no starter track and as Michael stated should be backwrapped.

I see two things in the picture. Actually, I see one and don't see one.

What I see is an improperly sealed joint and what I don't see is proper clearance between the EIFS and the roof... there should be 2".

If you want to inspect EIFS... learn ALL about it, if not recommend a Certified EIFS Inspector.

mathew stouffer
05-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the information. However, allow me to clarify something. This was a home inspection and I noticed the EFIS so I recommended and EIFS inspection, primarily for the reasons you have stated. My knowledge of EIFS is limited.

Mathew

Michael Greenwalt
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Steve,
The clearance I can see, I don't see the joint to which you speak, my pic not large enough maybe....

Steven Turetsky
05-05-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm talking about the bead of silicone on the bottom. There should be flashing there... just like with any cladding.